Wagon superiority thread

I wonder what these will cost after the leases are up
419D37CD-74DB-4E94-A009-344A2F206F19.jpeg

Unitronic stage 1 tune and DSG tune showed up today. (Labor day sale). I am just under 1500 miles. Do i nuke my warranty now and enjoy the power? Or wait till maybe 2,000 miles.

Unitronic stage 1 tune and DSG tune showed up today. (Labor day sale). I am just under 1500 miles. Do i nuke my warranty now and enjoy the power? Or wait till maybe 2,000 miles.
why dont you go APR and keep your warranty? I have heard (never seen first hand) that a lot of VW dealerships are friendly with APR tunes.

Great question. APR does not support flash at home and they recently cut their downpipes and total tuning options due to EPA. So i trust their APR plus less now. APR plus would have cost a lot more than the unitronic sale combo deal. Local APR dealers charge 1 hour labor for ecu, 1 hour for tcu, so it ends up being almost like the unitronic dsg tune is free and i can do it at my convenience. Being at a shop 40 miles away during business (stock trading) hours is very costly to me.

My soviet roots just called and reminded me of this Lada 2104 my dad owned long time ago.

Fiat copycat, built 1990, 1.5 70 hp gas engine, 4 speed stick shift, no power steering or any other option you might think of. Slow as hell and you better don’t get into any accident while inside. It did have a stereo, that was a nice touch.

According to the Wiki page, it does qualify for a station wagon and not hatchback :)

Pictures are for reference only, I’ve never lived in Russia

Attachments

• 1CE6FED9-799F-44F7-AD35-D4D3966FCD8B.jpeg
    1CE6FED9-799F-44F7-AD35-D4D3966FCD8B.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 19
  • FAC7232B-A413-46CF-A63A-E9387B170C38.jpeg
    FAC7232B-A413-46CF-A63A-E9387B170C38.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 12
I did my Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU/TCU at 3K miles just to make sure it was all sorted. In the end, it's so unlikely that you will have an issue anyway.....your choice!

why dont you go APR and keep your warranty? I have heard (never seen first hand) that a lot of VW dealerships are friendly with APR tunes.
That is not accurate I'm afraid. APR offers a "Plus" tune that is jsut their 87 octane Stage 1 file and you pay $400 more for a warranty that effectively replaces what you *may* loose by tuning your car i.e. VW denies a claim for a blown turbo for example, APR Plus picks up that claim. VW dealers offering APR products that tune your car with the regular tunes are not more "safe" in terms of warranty work than using a Unitronic or other tuning solution. They may tetll you that....but VW makes the final call on warranty claims, not the dealer regardless of their claim of being "mod friendly bro".

Great question. APR does not support flash at home and they recently cut their downpipes and total tuning options due to EPA. So i trust their APR plus less now. APR plus would have cost a lot more than the unitronic sale combo deal. Local APR dealers charge 1 hour labor for ecu, 1 hour for tcu, so it ends up being almost like the unitronic dsg tune is free and i can do it at my convenience. Being at a shop 40 miles away during business (stock trading) hours is very costly to me.
You'll dig the Unitronic tune - been v. happy with mine. Just ordered an IS38 turbo yesterday so will be having that plus some other goodies installed in a few weeks for about as much power as I can get out of this little 1.8!

My soviet roots just called and reminded me of this Lada 2104 my dad owned long time ago.

Fiat copycat, built 1990, 1.5 70 hp gas engine, 4 speed stick shift, no power steering or any other option you might think of. Slow as hell and you better don’t get into any accident while inside. It did have a stereo, that was a nice touch.

According to the Wiki page, it does qualify for a station wagon and not hatchback :)

Pictures are for reference only, I’ve never lived in Russia
I spent my childhood in a 2101 (sedan), and 2102 (wagon).

It's an automatic.

Only one manual 5 series comes up locally, but it's a RWD sedan. Looks nice though, but don't most BMW's? They do tend to be taken care of.

That is not accurate I'm afraid. APR offers a "Plus" tune that is jsut their 87 octane Stage 1 file and you pay $400 more for a warranty that effectively replaces what you *may* loose by tuning your car i.e. VW denies a claim for a blown turbo for example, APR Plus picks up that claim. VW dealers offering APR products that tune your car with the regular tunes are not more "safe" in terms of warranty work than using a Unitronic or other tuning solution. They may tetll you that....but VW makes the final call on warranty claims, not the dealer regardless of their claim of being "mod friendly bro".
I never stated that Unitronic's wasn't a safe tune? I was going Unitronic's on my MK6 GTI before it jumped time. I also said that I had heard, I wasn't too sure, but I do know that it is a dealer by dealer choice, not all of them are equal on it.

Sounds like you gave it a lot of thought. My buddy has a CC and it was a stage 2+ tune from unitronics and he loved it. I am sure you'll be happy with the car (y)

APR Plus = $999.99 APR DSG $699.99, 40 miles away shop wants 2 hours labor to flash both modules at $100/hour plus all the shop fees and taxes. Yes, it would let me have some warranty through APR themselves, but i'd have to take it back to the 40 mile away shop. Total cost on getting the APR warranty route, over $2,000 before losses from missing work and trading opportunity. 234 hp 273 tq.
Unitronic combo deal with labor day and various shop dap promos effectively cost me $1105 and i get to flash at home and have the unitronic plus interface. This tune is 242 hp / 273 tq. Future upgrades can be done at home if desired. So the initial savings plus the huge convenience factor means i can afford to be my own warranty.

My first Golf sportwagen was APR IS20 87 octane and it was great but i am willing to try other options this time.

I never stated that Unitronic's wasn't a safe tune? I was going Unitronic's on my MK6 GTI before it jumped time. I also said that I had heard, I wasn't too sure, but I do know that it is a dealer by dealer choice, not all of them are equal on it.
You're missing what I was saying - safe not w/r blowing your motor....safe w/r to warranty claim safe. Regular APR tunes (non-Plus) aren't going to be any less likely to get you a denied warranty claim than any other tune. While some dealers are more reasonable w/r to looking at vehicles that are tuned (the mytical "mod-friendly dealer"), the payment of a claim and the required backup is up to VW and if the dealer does a repair that is subsequently denied/not payed by VW b/c you have software and the backup scan etc. shows it, the dealer eats it.

APR Plus = $999.99 APR DSG $699.99, 40 miles away shop wants 2 hours labor to flash both modules at $100/hour plus all the shop fees and taxes. Yes, it would let me have some warranty through APR themselves, but i'd have to take it back to the 40 mile away shop. Total cost on getting the APR warranty route, over $2,000 before losses from missing work and trading opportunity. 234 hp 273 tq.
Unitronic combo deal with labor day and various shop dap promos effectively cost me $1105 and i get to flash at home and have the unitronic plus interface. This tune is 242 hp / 273 tq. Future upgrades can be done at home if desired. So the initial savings plus the huge convenience factor means i can afford to be my own warranty.

My first Golf sportwagen was APR IS20 87 octane and it was great but i am willing to try other options this time.
The Uni tunes are very good/basically the same as APR in terms of real-world power. Like you, I wanted to flash at home vs. having to go to a dealer. APR runs a bit more boost and less timing advance; Uni will run less boost more timing ceiling so you can take advantage of a little more octane/or some ethanol and get some gains. I started with the Uni Stage 1+ ECU/DSG/cable for $1150 during a sale. I've since upgraded to the Stage 2 IS20 tune and now just ordered an IS38 turbo.

Back