VW cold weather air filters... opinions??

Status
Not open for further replies.
VW offers 2 different air filters for the A4 (1999.5 to 2005) Jetta/Golf. One is a standard paper filter, the other is a paper filter with a mesh layer that supposedly keeps ingested snow from destroying the paper. Here's a photo of a cold weather filter...

-

What is the concensus on this mesh layer's effect on filtration efficiency? Would this be a good filter to run year round??

thanks.
- sean

VW part# 1J0-129-620-A is the filter in question. Its OE application is for Mk4 Golf/Jetta w/ 1.8t engines and VR6 engines in "cold countries". TTBOMK, the additional mesh was added to the filter to prevent damage to the paper element. I suppose from an engineering standpoint, the 1.8t might require this because of the higher intake velocity. I guess it could help protect the element from snow/ice as well.

Here's a pic of my old VW 1.8T air filter. It had 36k miles on it; 21k easy miles from me(no winter weather) & 15k miles unknown driving conditions from previous owner. I replaced it with a.......Fram
gr_eek2.gif

-

Wayne... it was actually your post on TDI Club that got me thinking about this air filter.

I guess I'm just wondering if there's any evidence the mesh layer filters any better or worse than the paper element.

I can't tell exactly how thick the mesh is, but a thin (perhaps 1/8" thick) mesh covering the paper, and incorporated into the pleats (yours if a flat mesh panel) has been common on many Fram air filters in the past, including the Penske filter (identical to Fram) I just put in my Mopar.

My first impression would be that the mesh wouldn't cause significant flow restriction when relatively clean. But then it occurred to me, why bother offering the "summer" filter if the "winter" filter could be adopted for year-round use? My first thoughts are that it boils down to cost and/or flow issues. My guess is that if one doesn't race their VW (street or track) and require optimum flow, then the "winter" media would do fine for year-round use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back