VW cold weather air filter. OK in warmer climates?

wemay

Site Donor 2023
A friend of mine just moved back in town from up north. He is selling his VW and has sold some of the maintenance items he's bought over the years. He has three Premium Guard PA4622 that fit my Passat. He just gave them to me. After looking these up, they have the pre-filter felt type foam material I've always seen named as a "winter or anti-condensation" filter. These ok to use in warm climate? PG website just lists it as the filter for my car without caveat.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
It would be fine to use that filter. I bought my car new in sunny California and mine came with the "winter filter".

Scott

I thought as much but didn't know if I was missing something. Thanks. I will certainly use them.

Originally Posted by wemay
A friend of mine just moved back in town from up north. He is selling his VW and has sold some of the maintenance items he's bought over the years. He has three Premium Guard PA4622 that fit my Passat. He just gave them to me. After looking these up, they have the pre-filter felt type foam material I've always seen named as a "winter or anti-condensation" filter. These ok to use in warm climate? PG website just lists it as the filter for my car without caveat.

If you drove in the snow, whatever snow that makes it to the filter, will get stuck to the prefilter instead of the cellulose filter, reducing the filter's effectiveness.

In non-winter conditions, it's a prefilter, so it's fine for it also.

After looking at these closer this morning, you can see the boxes were stored somewhere humid as there's faint water stains on the box and corner of filters themselves. I'll pass. He agreed, not good.

Originally Posted by circuitsmith
I would still use them unless obviously stained.
What do you think happens when you drive in the rain?

The assumption is water but could be some other chemicals from his garage. He didn't know either. But you're right, probably fine.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by circuitsmith
I would still use them unless obviously stained.
What do you think happens when you drive in the rain?

The assumption is water but could be some other chemicals from his garage. He didn't know either. But you're right, probably fine.

Yeah, if there are no visible stains on the filters (only on the box), then they are probably fine.

Back