vw - adding external trans filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
just a quick question for all the minds of bitog

picked up a 2005 vw passat tdi (bhw engine code) 444,000kms ,
grabbed a wix 24762 mounting base and a 33343 out of my inventory was wondering if that filter would be suitable for transmission oil use
it is rated at 10 microns , im mainly trying to clean all the metal debris and nasty bits out of the transmission with 2 pan drops before switching to a 51515xp as the lifetime filter
pentosin aft1 will be used as the oil of choice

thoughts?

The filter I suggest is a WIX 51269 (hydraulic filter) because of the 8 psi bypass and the beta ratio of 6/20=5/17 and it works very well on a transmission cooler line. not sure about the filter you suggested as the numbers suggest it may be a fuel filter.

Originally Posted by anderson
just a quick question for all the minds of bitog

picked up a 2005 vw passat tdi (bhw engine code) 444,000kms ,
grabbed a wix 24762 mounting base and a 33343 out of my inventory was wondering if that filter would be suitable for transmission oil use
it is rated at 10 microns , im mainly trying to clean all the metal debris and nasty bits out of the transmission with 2 pan drops before switching to a 51515xp as the lifetime filter
pentosin aft1 will be used as the oil of choice

thoughts?

Magnefine since it has a magnet and media.

Drain plug can feed the filter, fill plug can act as the return.
Put a big [censored] magnet in there and use Redline or Schaeffers before Pentosin

That 33343 fuel filter might work, but the lack of a bypass valve is a bit of concern. Personally, I would not use it unless there was a back pressure gauge on the cooler circuit to warn of an over pressure condition.

The Wix 51515 and its equivalents work great for transmission filters, they have a bypass valve, and it's a common oil filter that can be bought anywhere at any time. For short clean up intervals, any filters that cross to the 51515 p/n will be fine.

The Fram Ultra advertises 20 micron at 99%, which is an excellent option. I've used these on transmissions with good results.The Wix XP is a great filter too, though the parent company has never given us a clear answer on the micron and efficiency rating.

i think ill only use the 33343 for a day or two to filter the nasty black oil a bit before changing to the 51515xp.

only using wix because its what i keep in stock, its always scary doing the first fluid change on a high mileage transmission. 444.000 kms and not one documented fluid change
frown.gif

444.000 kms and not one documented fluid change
frown.gif

Ouch. I would use several spin on filters to help clean up the original fluid, only adding enough fresh fluid to fill the new filter each time. Each dose of detergent rich fresh fluid may loosen up more dirt. Once the fluid starts looking nice on the dipstick, it's likely safe to drop the pan and change all of the fluid.

If you have already have a case of those fuel filters to use up, it may be worth it to tee in a pressure gauge before the filter while you run them.

Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic
444.000 kms and not one documented fluid change
frown.gif

Ouch. I would use several spin on filters to help clean up the original fluid, only adding enough fresh fluid to fill the new filter each time. Each dose of detergent rich fresh fluid may loosen up more dirt. Once the fluid starts looking nice on the dipstick, it's likely safe to drop the pan and change all of the fluid.

If you have already have a case of those fuel filters to use up, it may be worth it to tee in a pressure gauge before the filter while you run them.

The best way to clean dirty fluid is to change it.

dropped the pan and discovered a 1/2 inch thick layer of black metalic sludge on the bottom. that explains why when i pulled the drain plug nothing poured out
frown.gif

filled with pentosin atf1 and installed the wix filter mount and 33343 on the output line from the trans cooler. also put a hayden cooler on line after the filter leading back to the trans.

we shall see how the trans holds up

Very interesting, do you ahve any pictures of your setup?

I too am considering using a fuel filter as my transmission oil filter as the micron rating is nice and low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back