VW 508/509 comparison

Here is a year old comparison of the VW 508 spec for the newer VW/Audi vehicles

:):):):):)Gentleman,,,if there is a VW forum, try your oil questions there just for your education,,,they might have some good info,,,well its a thought, IMHO if that does not work, email VW in Europe

".....the VW 508 / 509 relies on 0W20 which significantly reduces wear....." - compared to what?
This is where you can use the Lubrizol Relative performance tool and use it in accordance to its intended purpose.

So you can compare 508/509 to 502.00

Valvoline makes a 0w20 that is approved for 508/509. Amazon has the case of 6 for $51.

Too bad Napa doesn't carry it because they have Valvoline on sale this month!

So which one of these is the lowest priced? I can get Ravenol VSE for about $60 for a 5 litre jug at Blauparts for example.
I'm not putting many miles on my Jetta right now, less than 500 per month and have a dealer oil change for free coming but as soon as that is gone I will probably go with the Ravenol VSE. It seems to do well in many important categories in the testing and catching it on sale at Blauparts is pretty easy. Of course by then something else may be as good for a better price.

Valvoline makes a 0w20 that is approved for 508/509. Amazon has the case of 6 for $51.

Too bad Napa doesn't carry it because they have Valvoline on sale this month!
Good find. Now it's down to $40.65 for six quarts. It is indeed VW 508.00 and VW 509.00 and Porsche C20 approved and licensed. ACEA C5, MB229.71 & BMW LL-17FE+

So it definitely hits all the approvals. Curios why it would state API SN Plus with all those Euro approvals? Seems is would easily surpass the SP classification? Just waiting an approval?

Here is the PI sheets for the Valvoline Euro offerings:

US_Val_EuroVehicle_MO_EN.pdf

Good find. Now it's down to $40.65 for six quarts. It is indeed VW 508.00 and VW 509.00 and Porsche C20 approved and licensed. ACEA C5, MB229.71 & BMW LL-17FE+

So it definitely hits all the approvals. Curios why it would state API SN Plus with all those Euro approvals? Seems is would easily surpass the SP classification? Just waiting an approval?

Here is the PI sheets for the Valvoline Euro offerings:

US_Val_EuroVehicle_MO_EN.pdf

A lot of the Euro oils don't carry the latest API certs because quite frankly, they don't really care about them. They are still selling a bunch of Euro oils that carry manufacturer approval but really old API certs, like Edge 0w30 A3/B4 only has API SL, for example.

Generally approved API SN or GF 6A oil is cheaper than VW508/509 certified oil. At least that's what Ravenol EHS vs VSE (40% more expensive), same thing with Addinol economy vs Premium 508/509, Liquimoly 0w-20 for American/Asian vs 508/509. So, I think oil with 508/509 grade required higher grade stock base and additives because of longlife requirements 20k miles/2 years eligibility.
I used VW 0w-20 oil for my Prius 3rd gen engine, and it works well, no oil consumption after 70k miles 10k interval. Some 2ZR-FXE engines starts burning oil after 100k miles when doing 10k interval, although less than 1 quart per OCI in most post 2013.

Back