Vortex 6.0 water pump

I'm working on a high mileage Chevy 2500hd with the 6.0 gas engine. It seems to overheat when it's worked more than just cruising around empty. I was plowing snow a couple weeks ago and it was getting hot in a short time and I was not plowing any different than I ever have. Today I was pulling a trailer with a tractor on it down the highway and it was getting hot and it's pulled this load many times without trouble. This truck has had a new radiator and thermostat in the past couple of years. The fins don't seem blocked. I have also changed the fan clutch before. My question is can water pumps wear out without having a leaking? Can the impeller wear out? This truck has 460,000+ miles in it and it's still the original water pump.

Cavitation could have done a number on that pump considering the mileage! You can pull the pump & pop the back cover off it to verify. Early LSx pumps had a bolt-on cover that made visual inspection easier & you could reinstall the pump if found good, Unfortunately that's not an option with the pressed in cover. If you have a infrared thermometer.....Check for cold spots in the radiator core as your symptoms could point to a partially clogged radiator OR poor water flow! Was the thermostat OE? I haven't had good luck with aftermarket ones!

It certainly sounds plausible assuming the fan clutch is operating per spec. Is it weeping at all? Either way, impressive mileage, starting to see a lot of older (2000-2005/6-ish) GMTs with the LS based engines popping up with TONS of miles on them, guess they really built them right back in the day

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JEL01
It certainly sounds plausible assuming the fan clutch is operating per spec. Is it weeping at all? Either way, impressive mileage, starting to see a lot of older (2000-2005/6-ish) GMTs with the LS based engines popping up with TONS of miles on them, guess they really built them right back in the day
Yup 290k on mine. I think they are as good or better than the classic small blocks.