Volvo T6 (SI6) oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using M1 0-40 in everything I own for many years (VWs and Volvos, including an '09 XC70 T6), but I just bought a '15.5 XC70 T6 with a CPO warranty. Since these things can and do have ring problems, I want to make absolutely sure that I use the "right" oil according to Volvo so they can't deny coverage in the event of an issue, but I can't really get a straight answer about what's right. I figure BITOG will have some opinions...
grin.gif

-My manual and the website says the cars need 0w-30 A5/B5
-The dealer that sold be the car used Castrol 5w-30 and the local dealer said 5w-30 was specified in the manual (see above)

-Volvo "recommends" Castol Edge Professional 0w-30. That's not readily available in the states as far as I can tell, though you can buy quarts at the dealer for $$$$
-Lubri-Moly Special Tec V 0w-30 is "Volvo approved" and is about $38/5L at Amazon and FCPEuro (not too far form me)
-Pennzoil Platinum, Ultra Plat, Mobil 1, and Castrol all make a 5w-30 A5/B5 and are cheaply available down the street at Wal-Mart

So? What would you do? The car has 38k miles and is under CPO warranty until 100k or 2025.

The LM is $38 shipped, I'd go with that. You'd probably never have a concern with the 5w's but personally I wouldn't use them until warranty was over.

Originally Posted by posaune
I've been using M1 0-40 in everything I own for many years (VWs and Volvos, including an '09 XC70 T6), but I just bought a '15.5 XC70 T6 with a CPO warranty. Since these things can and do have ring problems, I want to make absolutely sure that I use the "right" oil according to Volvo so they can't deny coverage in the event of an issue, but I can't really get a straight answer about what's right. I figure BITOG will have some opinions...
grin.gif

-The dealer that sold be the car used Castrol 5w-30 and the local dealer said 5w-30 was specified in the manual (see above)

-Volvo "recommends" Castol Edge Professional 0w-30. That's not readily available in the states as far as I can tell, though you can buy quarts at the dealer for $$$$
-Lubri-Moly Special Tec V 0w-30 is "Volvo approved" and is about $38/5L at Amazon and FCPEuro (not too far form me)
-Pennzoil Platinum, Ultra Plat, Mobil 1, and Castrol all make a 5w-30 A5/B5 and are cheaply available down the street at Wal-Mart

So? What would you do? The car has 38k miles and is under CPO warranty until 100k or 2025.

Are there any alternatives in manual?

Your manual says this, correct?

Full synthetic engine oil meeting the minimum ACEA A5/B5 must be used. Lower quality oils may not offer the same fuel economy, engine performance, or engine protection.

And any grade statements I saw are recommendations, right? Not requirements.

Given that, any ACEA A3/B4 oil is also acceptable since that is a higher specification (above the minimum of ACEA A5/B5). Therefore the Mobil 1 0W-40 meets the requirements of your warranty booklet.

[Linked Image]

5W30 would be allowed by the manual. I believe an A3/B4 oil will give better protection, but worse fuel economy...

Ok, well, I looked at the maintenance manual online and it shows 5w-30 (as above). I SWEAR I looked at that before...

Still though, it says that "extreme operation" requires 0w-30, and that includes trailer towing. Since I have a trailer hitch and module, I think I'm still stuck with 0w-30. Looking up what is the required oil on the website still comes up with ONLY 0w-30.

So the 0w-40 is a higher spec than A5/B5? I'd love to continue using that, but I don't want to give them ANY reason to deny warranty coverage.... Tbh, so far, Volvo has been quite good about warranty work (versus VW, which seemed like a fight every time), so I may be overthinking this.

Last edited:
Just be aware that "0W-30" is not a "requirement" for extreme engine operation, if anything the ACEA rating of A5/B5 is. There are other 0W-30 oils that are not A5/B5. For example Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-30 would not qualify.

But again that is a recommendation not a requirement. So your current M1 0W-40 is a better choice giving you slightly higher operating viscosity.

My favorite is the 0w-30 A5/B5 (also LL-01FE, SN as a bonus) Mini dealership oil. Same as BMW TwinPower 0w30 oil. Both are available all over the internet for delivery to your door, probably on Amazon, ecstuning.com, fcpeuro.com, many more, just google it. Those strictly meet the "0w-30 A5/B5" requirements. The bonus LL-01FE BMW-Mini engine tests are quite tough, ensuring a quality oil for your turbo animal. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-engine-oil-07510017866 for one source, the Mini LL-01FE is the same.

My Walmart A5/B5 favorite is Mobil1 Annual Protection 5w30, and I think your Owner's Manual does indeed allow for "5w30" instead of 0w30, so can do....
Thats very high performance oil. It doesn't get much better than that. You get dexos1 turbocharger coking engine tests as a bonus.

So the 0w-40 is a higher spec than A5/B5? I'd love to continue using that, but I don't want to give them ANY reason to deny warranty coverage....
Not a higher spec. A different spec for sure. I don't think that's what Volvo means when they say "minimum". See my explanation below.

Originally Posted by kschachn
So your current M1 0W-40 is a better choice giving you slightly higher operating viscosity.
No.
Take a look at the clear wording in the manual "Full synthetic oil meeting the minimum ACEA A5/B5 must be used." Notice use of the word "must". That is clear. Its a requirement.
1. Full synthetic. and:
2. A5/B5 minimum. By "minimum" they mean the oil can have other extra certifications or approvals piled on, but at a minimum it must be A5/B5 at least.

Definition of "extreme driving" (0w30 clause): I think they are talking about very cold weather, like below -5F starts. They are not talking about towing or racing.

Now a couple people here are saying the thicker A3/B4 meets the A5/B5. It does not. Its not "above", or whatever words kschachn wants to make up for this. A3/B4 has different viscosity for one thing.

I would personally agree that a 0w40 would be fine, but the goal here is to satisfy the Warranty Claims Dept. at Volvo, not people on bitog.

Last edited:
Ok, well, I looked at the maintenance manual online and it shows 5w-30 (as above). I SWEAR I looked at that before...

Still though, it says that "extreme operation" requires 0w-30, and that includes trailer towing. Since I have a trailer hitch and module, I think I'm still stuck with 0w-30. Looking up what is the required oil on the website still comes up with ONLY 0w-30.

So the 0w-40 is a higher spec than A5/B5? I'd love to continue using that, but I don't want to give them ANY reason to deny warranty coverage.... Tbh, so far, Volvo has been quite good about warranty work (versus VW, which seemed like a fight every time), so I may be overthinking this.

There is no such thing as higher spec. Also, 0W40 is grade, not specification.

Basically Volvo requires a HTHS range of 3.5 - 2.9. (i.e. A5/B5). Due to the HTHS requirement these oils will never be 40w. A5/B5 is essentially a slightly thinner version of A3/B4.

Acea A5/B5/C2/C1/C5 is your CAFE....

What you want in your car is ACEA A3/B4 (Full saps) or ACEA C3/C4 (DPF friendly)

Thanks for this. I know I've been throwing around words that do not necessarily apply- my fault, and I know better. I got what I deserved for not thinking before posting here.
lol.gif

I think to be safe, I'll be sticking with A5/B5. It remains to be seen whether I go for the cheaper/easier to get 5w-30 or the LiquiMoly Spec V 0w-30. I sort of lean toward the latter, but that might change when I decide that I want to change the oil at 9p on a Sunday and haven't yet bought any....

Originally Posted by paoester
So the 0w-40 is a higher spec than A5/B5? I'd love to continue using that, but I don't want to give them ANY reason to deny warranty coverage....
Not a higher spec. A different spec for sure. I don't think that's what Volvo means when they say "minimum". See my explanation below.

Originally Posted by kschachn
So your current M1 0W-40 is a better choice giving you slightly higher operating viscosity.
No.
Take a look at the clear wording in the manual "Full synthetic oil meeting the minimum ACEA A5/B5 must be used." Notice use of the word "must". That is clear. Its a requirement.
1. Full synthetic. and:
2. A5/B5 minimum. By "minimum" they mean the oil can have other extra certifications or approvals piled on, but at a minimum it must be A5/B5 at least.

Definition of "extreme driving" (0w30 clause): I think they are talking about very cold weather, like below -5F starts. They are not talking about towing or racing.

Now a couple people here are saying the thicker A3/B4 meets the A5/B5. It does not. Its not "above", or whatever words kschachn wants to make up for this. A3/B4 has different viscosity for one thing.

I would personally agree that a 0w40 would be fine, but the goal here is to satisfy the Warranty Claims Dept. at Volvo, not people on bitog.

Originally Posted by paoester

1. Full synthetic. and:

Now a couple people here are saying the thicker A3/B4 meets the A5/B5. It does not. Its not "above".

I would listen to member Paoester, you need a 5W30 A5/B5 oil.

0W30 is for extreme cold starts.

A3/B4 does not meet A5/B5 as it is a different spec with different requirements. Both good, but different, and in no way ranked by ACEA as better or worse.

You want a full synthetic, name brand oil that is ACEA A5/B5 and SAE 5W-30

Following this thread..daughter just purchased a 2016 Volvo XC90 with 63k miles T6 4cy turbocharged...all service performed at the dealerships

Should be good with normal driving conditions as we live in Georgia. What oil can I go to Wally World and buy that meets Volvo's specs of 5W30 A5/B5 ? The only oil I see on Amazon that seems to meet the Castrol Edge Professional has Volkswagen stamped all over it..would that be ok to run in the Volvo? Planning on 7500 OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dawgn86
Following this thread..daughter just purchased a 2016 Volvo XC90 with 63k miles T6 4cy turbocharged...all service performed at the dealerships

Should be good with normal driving conditions as we live in Georgia. What oil can I go to Wally World and buy that meets Volvo's specs of 5W30 A5/B5 ? The only oil I see on Amazon that seems to meet the Castrol Edge Professional has Volkswagen stamped all over it..would that be ok to run in the Volvo? Planning on 7500 OCI.

Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum both meet the spec. Also Castrol Edge and Extended Performance Edge also meet the spec (all in 5W-30).

Thanks K2

do you let the dealer change your oil? If so, may I ask what an oil change cost?

I have used Penzoil Ultra Platinum in my Hemi engines in the past...always seemed to be a top quality oil.

Originally Posted by dawgn86
Thanks K2

do you let the dealer change your oil? If so, may I ask what an oil change cost?

I have used Penzoil Ultra Platinum in my Hemi engines in the past...always seemed to be a top quality oil.

Not yet. We just got it as a certified preowned. The dealer changed the oil during the CPO process. I'm going to let them do the first change, since that seems to be the only way to have them update the cars software. After that, I'm going to do it myself though. You can find the oil and filter spec'd for this engine HERE. I'm not sure if I'm going that route or just the PUP route?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back