Volkswagen (Aisin) Trans Fluid

Hey everyone! First post on this account, I was a longtime member here a long time ago, however that account seems to have been lost and not recoverable. Anyway, even though I'm very well versed in oil, trans fluid is a different story. I hhave a 2015 VW Jetta with the 1.8T and Aisin 09G transmission. I did ask this question in a VW group, however all I got was the standard 'Use OEM fluid. Normally I would, however with this being an Aisin trans, I feel that my options are a little more open. First off, what specifically should I look for as far as a spec for the fluid? Between what Aisin says and what VW says, im confused. Secondly, what would you suggest? I've used Amsoil ATF in the past, however I have no knowledge of what route to go. Thank you!

Use the OEM fluid. These can have valve body issues. It is best to use the OEM VW fluid. We had a drain and fill done on ours twice between 40K-50K. I would recommend doing it sooner.

Welcome back!

Aisin/Toyota transmissions usually aren't picky. You can use Maxlife with no problem :)

If you like Amsoil, there is certainly nothing wrong with it!

Later model 09G transmissions are rumored to use a JWS3324 fluid which is a Toyota WS equivalent. I used Idemitsu Type TLS-LV on the last two 09G's I serviced.

I used Pennzoil Platinum LV which lists JWS3324 as The Critic mentioned above. The next transmission service on my 12' Golf I'll use Idemitsu fluid. (Be sure to drop the pan, change the strainer and clean the magnets as well.)

I have an Asin auto trans in my Fiat. I changed the lifetime fluid to Valvoline MaxLife per their chart.

The Aisin 09G is the VW name for the Aisin TF-60SN 6 speed traverse automatic which was originally designed to use JWS 3309 (aka Toyota T-IV), and now Toyota WS (JWS 3324) has superseded T-IV. Aisin transmissions aren't very picky about ATF, so I'd use Maxlife which is a great WS equivalent. Ravenol T-WS is listed as applicable for VW 09G, 09K, and 09K transmissions which backs using a Toyota WS equivalent, along with this thread on vwwatercooled.com I would just save a bunch of money and buy Maxlife along with a filter and gasket.

Napa is a great place for transmission filters and parts.

The Napa filter and gasket kit for my Touareg was $35. Looked exactly like the OEM filter that came out. Same manufacturer.

ATF Kit Link found this kit, seems to meet the specs perfedt and comes with everything. Any opinions?

Yes, an informed opinion. That's a terrible rip-off.

Use Aisin 3309. The thinner WS fluid isn't as happy in these, and seems to wear out sooner.

The best place I've found to get 3309 is my local Toyota dealership (as T-IV). Chat them up. They gave me 10qts for $4.80 each last month, $53 out the door for 10qts. Another option is to get the 6qt packs of Mobil 3309 from Summit Racing or Amazon if you have prime. Pretty affordable that way and makes little sense to use a "semi" compatible fluid like MaxLife, or the weaker/thinner WS.

Back