VOA Valvoline Transfer Case Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by GSCJR
Dual Pump Fluid II. I don't think so.

Is this differential of a Hypoid differential design or is it integrated into a (the) transaxle ? If the differential is integrated into the transaxle, then it most likely uses Spider Gears.

It looks like Honda Honda Part No.: 08200-9007.

No specs or properties were given.

Addendum: Did some research. This fluid is a Low Viscosity (LV) fluid about 6.0 cSt@100C and > 21 cSt@40C, which is about the same viscosity as LV ATF's.

Last edited:
It's not integrated into the transaxle; It's located at the rear of the vehicle. As I mentioned earlier I don't think it has hypoid gears. My searches for the internal components comes up empty. Thanks for looking into it; Looks like Maxlife meets the viscosity requirements, sort of.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
It's not integrated into the transaxle; It's located at the rear of the vehicle. As I mentioned earlier I don't think it has hypoid gears. My searches for the internal components comes up empty. Thanks for looking into it; Looks like Maxlife meets the viscosity requirements, sort of.

Interesting.

If you ever find any exploded views of this system I for one would be interested in seeing it.

Thanks.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the interesting info.

...An internal gear pump circulates VTM-4 fluid to cool and lubricate the clutches, bearings, and gears within the
rear drive unit...

I suspect that since this magnetic clutch "torque distribution" differential still has a Hypoid design the Hypoid lubricant would have to have a GL-5 rating and be at least around a SAE 75W85 grade of viscosity.

I also suspect the magnetic clutches are a sealed unit with a special fluid containing magnetic particles for variable torque application.

And the more compact the design the more the heat rejection capability has to be built in. I don't see a gear pump illustrated nor any cooling radiator.

I don't think this is the same unit as in the OP's application since his fluid is a Low Viscosity (LV) fluid about 6.0 cSt@100C and > 21 cSt@40C.

Last edited:
I agree that it's probably not quite the same. The VTM-4 Fluid is pretty low viscosity, but I don't recall that I've run any tests on it. It also calls for a change of this fluid surprisingly frequently; an initial 7500 mile changes, then every 15k miles for low speed or mountain driving, or every ~~30k otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back