VOA Valvoline Transfer Case Fluid

Messages
1,238
Location
upstate NY
Thread starter
Valvoline says good for Ford XL-12, GM Auto Trak II and ATF+4 applications
Code
Copper              0
Iron                0
Chromium            0
Aluminum            0
Lead                0
Tin                 0

Silicon             5
Sodium              6
Potassium           0

Boron             282
Moly                0

Nickel              0
Silver              0

Titanium            0
Calcium           225
Magnesium           8
Zinc               10
Phosphorus        562
Barium              0

Oxidation %        16
Nitration %         5
Sulfation %        24

Viscosity @ 100°C     6.3 cSt

PQI                 7
(Particle Quantifying Index)

ISO code        22/20/16

4 micron          21624
6 micron           7006
10 micron          1626
14 micron           478
18 micron           236
21 micron           168
38 micron            56
50 micron            38






 
Last edited:
Messages
1,238
Location
upstate NY
Thread starter
Originally Posted by GSCJR
Thanks for posting Dusty. Hmm; Wondering if I can use this in a Honda diff. Maxlife is what I was leaning towards trying.
You're welcome. The last time I looked, Maxlife and this transfer case fluid looked identical on Valvoline's product info sheets. I thought maybe it was the very same product, just bottled/marketed for two different things.
 

dnewton3

Staff member
Messages
8,459
Location
Indianapolis, IN
Back more than 10 years ago, GM quit licensing Dex III(h) in 2006 in deference to their "new" Dex VI. Ford stopped licensing Mercon, opting for the Mercon V. But because GM had been using their DEXIII ATF as their transfer case fluid, they had to come out with a "Transfer Case" lube for OTC parts sales. All they did was bottle up the former DEX III and relabel it as "Transfer Case" fluid. Ford did something similar after LV came out; not sure if they still are doing it. It would not surprise me at all if Valvoline is bottling Maxlife ATF as "Transfer Case" fluid for many applications. That's because ATF was, and still is, a primary lube in many, many t-case applications across many OEMs.
 
Last edited:
Messages
1,238
Location
upstate NY
Thread starter
Originally Posted by dnewton3
It would not surprise me at all if Valvoline is bottling Maxlife ATF as "Transfer Case" fluid for many applications. That's because ATF was, and still is, a primary lube in many, many t-case applications across many OEMs.
While I did get a discount on the transfer case fluid, it's much more expensive to buy compared to Maxlife. I think next time, I'll just buy a gallon of Maxlife and use that (unless Molakule comes along and says it's a bad idea). smile
 
Messages
1,238
Location
upstate NY
Thread starter
Originally Posted by userfriendly
When I need power steering or transfer case fluid, I drain it out of my Allison transmission (TES295 spec) and put the new fluid in.
I looked at Delvac ATF (a TES295 spec fluid) and see it's a 7.3 cSt fluid. Maybe I should consider something like that in my t-case. I've never opened up a T-case but aren't they just chains and sprockets (at least the basic shift on the fly versions like mine)? Maybe the fancy t-cases with an "auto" position have more specific requirements for some sort of clutches?
 
Messages
3,140
Location
BC, Canada
I'm using a clone TES295, Petro-Canada Duradrive. My daily driver, a 2011 GMC 2500 6.6L sees about 3,000 miles of 4X4 use in deep snow and icy conditions a year. 275/65/20 Hankook RW-11s My son's 2013 1500 GMC SLT 5.3L, more off-road than on. 275/60/20 Nitto EXOs Both have over 100,000 miles. Diff fluid; both 80W140 Petro-Can, Transfer cases, PC Duradrive. If there was going to be an issue with these fluids, I'm sure it would have showed up by now. I bought a pail of Chevron 80W140 for 3 3500 GMC 6.0L company vehicles. one has 245/70/19.5s. The locomotives use 20W40 Chevron, ZDDP free.
 

MolaKule

Staff member
Messages
21,379
Location
Iowegia - USA
Originally Posted by GSCJR
Thanks for posting Dusty. Hmm; Wondering if I can use this in a Honda diff. Maxlife is what I was leaning towards trying.
Whoaa, you might want to rethink that unless you are speaking about a transaxle that uses one of those LV fluids. Most differentials require at least a 75W85 GL-5 grade of gear oil. This fluid has an equivalent GL-4 rating.
 
Last edited:
Messages
422
Location
Southeast
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Back more than 10 years ago, GM quit licensing Dex III(h) in 2006 in deference to their "new" Dex VI. Ford stopped licensing Mercon, opting for the Mercon V. But because GM had been using their DEXIII ATF as their transfer case fluid, they had to come out with a "Transfer Case" lube for OTC parts sales. All they did was bottle up the former DEX III and relabel it as "Transfer Case" fluid. Ford did something similar after LV came out; not sure if they still are doing it. It would not surprise me at all if Valvoline is bottling Maxlife ATF as "Transfer Case" fluid for many applications. That's because ATF was, and still is, a primary lube in many, many t-case applications across many OEMs.
I think what GM is using now for transfer cases, power steering, and manual transmissions is Dex III(K) (GMW17639). If what they are selling as "Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid" is in fact Dexron III(K) as I suspect, it is not the same as Dexron III and should not be used in an automatic transmission. They apparently pulled the additives (I assume that means friction modifiers) out of this fluid as they aren't needed for its intended applications. GM part no. 88861800 I did a little more looking, looks like the Ford Transfer Case Fluid is called XL-12. It looks like it has been discontinued by Ford.
 
Last edited:
Messages
422
Location
Southeast
Originally Posted by dustyroads
Originally Posted by userfriendly
When I need power steering or transfer case fluid, I drain it out of my Allison transmission (TES295 spec) and put the new fluid in.
I looked at Delvac ATF (a TES295 spec fluid) and see it's a 7.3 cSt fluid. Maybe I should consider something like that in my t-case. I've never opened up a T-case but aren't they just chains and sprockets (at least the basic shift on the fly versions like mine)? Maybe the fancy t-cases with an "auto" position have more specific requirements for some sort of clutches?
Last time I looked, the Maxlife ATF PDS shows that it can be used in the place of Autotrak II which is what GM uses in their "auto" transfer cases. Valvoline "recommends" Maxlife for lots of things, which isn't to say that it's necessarily the best choice for a given application but it should work.
 
Messages
422
Location
Southeast
Originally Posted by 4WD
Have 2017 & 2018 full sized GM's ... both take Dex VI in the transfer case ...
The newer GM's take Dexron VI, the problem is that Dexron VI isn't backspec'd for use in manual transmissions or transfer cases that called for Dexron III. You can use Dexron VI for transmissions that previously called for Dex III, except for some pre-07 Allison 1000's in GM HD pickups. I think GM actually started using Dex 6 in the Allison's sometime in 06, anything serial number 6320784373 and above can use Dexron VI. The older Allison's had a different type of seals made of a different material which will harden and eventually leak if you use Dexron VI in those units. There is a lot of good information HERE.
 

4WD

Messages
13,506
Location
Texas
Yep my first was an 85 and a bunch in between .... used Mobil 1 through the Dex III era, but after Dex VI used that - or Valvoline or Castrol MV ATF's ... Did have one transfer case use Synchromesh .... Ran Redline in that ...
 
Messages
1,378
Location
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by GSCJR
Thanks for posting Dusty. Hmm; Wondering if I can use this in a Honda diff. Maxlife is what I was leaning towards trying.
Whoaa, you might want to rethink that unless you are speaking about a transaxle that uses one of those LV fluids. Most differentials require at least a 75W85 GL-5 grade of gear oil. This fluid has an equivalent GL-4 rating.
Hey Mola, Honda uses that secret sauce for their diffs. I used Dexron in my old CRV. I have an 08 at work now needing a service.
 

MolaKule

Staff member
Messages
21,379
Location
Iowegia - USA
Originally Posted by GSCJR
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by GSCJR
Thanks for posting Dusty. Hmm; Wondering if I can use this in a Honda diff. Maxlife is what I was leaning towards trying.
Whoaa, you might want to rethink that unless you are speaking about a transaxle that uses one of those LV fluids. Most differentials require at least a 75W85 GL-5 grade of gear oil. This fluid has an equivalent GL-4 rating.
Hey Mola, Honda uses that secret sauce for their diffs. I used Dexron in my old CRV. I have an 08 at work now needing a service.
Sorry, I am not clear about your response. What is the "secret sauce" you refer to? Is the Honda differential you're speaking of a Hypoid Differential design?
 
Messages
422
Location
Southeast
I asked a Ford tech what Ford is using in Transfer cases now that XL-12 has been discontinued, He says Ford has approved Mercon LV for use in all Transfer cases.
 
Messages
1,238
Location
upstate NY
Thread starter
Originally Posted by BlakeB
Originally Posted by dustyroads
Originally Posted by userfriendly
When I need power steering or transfer case fluid, I drain it out of my Allison transmission (TES295 spec) and put the new fluid in.
I looked at Delvac ATF (a TES295 spec fluid) and see it's a 7.3 cSt fluid. Maybe I should consider something like that in my t-case. I've never opened up a T-case but aren't they just chains and sprockets (at least the basic shift on the fly versions like mine)? Maybe the fancy t-cases with an "auto" position have more specific requirements for some sort of clutches?
Last time I looked, the Maxlife ATF PDS shows that it can be used in the place of Autotrak II which is what GM uses in their "auto" transfer cases. Valvoline "recommends" Maxlife for lots of things, which isn't to say that it's necessarily the best choice for a given application but it should work.
Thanks Blake. I didn't know that Autotrak II was used in GM's "auto" transfer cases (I guess the name should have been a clue). I believe Ford was using Mercon LV in their upscale transfer cases with an "auto" position even before XL-12 was discontinued. Now I'm certain that next time I change the case fluid, I'll save some money and just use Maxlife ATF. Unless of course, I try a higher viscosity fluid like a TES295 type fluid like userfriendly says he's using in his GM vehicles. It's something to consider, at least in my mundane, old shift on the fly T-case.
 
Last edited:
Messages
1,238
Location
upstate NY
Thread starter
Originally Posted by userfriendly
I'm using a clone TES295, Petro-Canada Duradrive. My daily driver, a 2011 GMC 2500 6.6L sees about 3,000 miles of 4X4 use in deep snow and icy conditions a year. 275/65/20 Hankook RW-11s My son's 2013 1500 GMC SLT 5.3L, more off-road than on. 275/60/20 Nitto EXOs Both have over 100,000 miles. Diff fluid; both 80W140 Petro-Can, Transfer cases, PC Duradrive. If there was going to be an issue with these fluids, I'm sure it would have showed up by now. I bought a pail of Chevron 80W140 for 3 3500 GMC 6.0L company vehicles. one has 245/70/19.5s. The locomotives use 20W40 Chevron, ZDDP free.
Thanks for sharing your experience. My truck has stock size tires and we only use 4X4 (maybe) 1000 miles per winter. No auto position on my t-case so we turn the 4X4 switch as needed and switch it off when no longer necessary. Having just changed out the T-case fluid, I'm good for now, but will consider a higher viscosity fluid next time.
 
Top