VOA Rotella "T" Syn. 5w-40 CI-4/SH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a Blackstone VOA for "T" Synthetic CI-4/SH rated 5w-40. I sent a sample of this along with my UOA sample referenced here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1040280#Post1040280

RON: Nothing too unusual showed up in this sample of virgin Rotella 5W/40 oil. The traces of metals most likely came
from holding tanks and transport pipelines. They are a fairly common find in virgin samples and are not a problem.
Calcium, the dominant additive, is a detergent/dispersant additive, as is boron. Phosphorus and zinc are anti-wear
additives. The TBN read 12.7, which shows the oil is starting out with lots of active additive. We were surprised to find
insolubles at 0.1%. They may be additive that's fallen out of suspension, if this oil is particularly old.
VOA #1

MI/HR ON OIL: - - -
MI/HR ON UNIT:- - -
DATE:11-28-07

ALUMINUM: 1
CHROMIUM: 0
IRON: 2
COPPER: 0
LEAD: 0
TIN: 0
MOLY: 0
NICKEL: 0
MANGANESE: 0
SILVER: 0
TITANIUM: 0
POTASSIUM: 0
BORON:2
SILICON: 6
SODIUM: 0
CALCIUM: 2596
MAGNESIUM: 9
PHOSPHOROUS: 837
ZINC: 974
BARIUM: 1

SUS VISC. @210F: 72.4
Cst Visc. @100C:13.58
Flashpoint (F): 415
Fuel %: - - -
Antifreeze %:- - -
Water %: - - -
Insolubles %: 0.1
TBN: 12.7
TAN:
ISO Code:

My COMMENTS: “CI-4/SL” rated Rotella “T” 5w-40 Synthetic

I thought it was interesting comparing the used oil's ('old' CH rated "T" 5w-40), zinc/phosphorous numbers to the virgin CI-4's numbers.
Used CH rated:
Phos: 1111
Zinc: 1379
Virgin CI-4/SL rated:
Phos: 837
Zinc: 974

We currently run the "T" 5w-40 in a variety of diesel powered J-D equipment (a 310D loader/backhoe, 6x4 Gator, my 955 CUT, my brothers' 755 CUT's). I had been using it in my X595 garden tractor, but recently went with J-D's 0W-40 super synthetic stuff in that one. I'll see if I can get some VOA/UOA's on that, too (this website becomes addictive, quickly!!), plus, I'd like to see a VOA on the 'old' CH rated Rotella 5w-40. Maybe I can sacrifice a few precious ounces from my rapidly dwindling stash.
frown.gif
Why, why, why didn't I buy every gallon of the old stuff at Wally's?
frown.gif
frown.gif

SH? interesting they note the solubles as additive fallout. how old have you had this oil? I have rotella T 10w30 SL that I have had for 3-4 years that I'm about to start using up. this has got to be older than that.

The Zn/P look too low in the VOA. Must be either the lab, or the additives falling out, for whatever reason.

From memory it looks about right and in line with other VOA's on the Rot T syn. that is from memory though.

Originally Posted By: Towel_Rail
The Zn/P look too low in the VOA. Must be either the lab, or the additives falling out, for whatever reason.

Those numbers look very low, almost like a CJ-4 grade.

The VOA I've seen on the Rotella CI-4+ 5w-40 were typically in the range of 1300/1400+ ppm P/Zn, Calcium 3000+ ppm. I suppose it's possible the CH version was milder, but I doubt it.

Seems to me Blackstones VOA always fall on the low side for some reason.
54.gif

I have 10 gallons of Mobil Delvac 5w40, CH-4, that I'll start using next month. Anyone think I ought to send in a virgin sample from one of the pails? It's what I'll running for the next 80k miles.

You could if you want. I'd just shake it up before using -- it's known to be an excellent oil, no worries.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back