Virgin Toyota oil filter 90915-YZZG2 cut open

Whipcitywrencher

Site Donor 2024
Hi Folks,
Here's some pics of a Toyota 90915-YZZG2 oil filter.
Below is also a link to the video. Enjoy the pics.
Date Code : F07MI3E26
Cellulose Filter Media

Toyota 1A pic.jpg
Toyota 2 pic.jpg
Toyota 3 pic.jpg
Toyota 4 pic.jpg
Toyota 5 pic.jpg
Toyota 6 pic.jpg
Toyota 7 pic.jpg

It has a Purolator date code, and does say made in the USA. Looks like Purolator is making some Toyota filters now - ??

That filter has been made at least since June 15, 2017. My local Toyota dealer would not sell me the YZZD1 for my 92 Toyota 22RE because the YZZG2 superseded the YZZD1.

I was seeing these as long as twenty years ago or so. Not sure when, it is that long ago. They still sell only the 90915 yzzd1 where I live and if look on eBay Connecelli Toyota was selling them $35 for 10. I don’t have time to look for it now. Maybe some local markets sell the G2. The boxes for a couple years or more now have new graphics with Lexus and Toyota branding. Boxes all red with Toyota only are the old boxes.

There was a JV between Denso and Purolator named Purodenso that made many of Toyota’s service filters in the US. I think they are still around making the US-made Toyota and Subaru air filters.

The local Toyota dealer used to sell those. I’ve only gotten Thai Densos from them for the last 10+ years.

I was seeing these as long as twenty years ago or so. Not sure when, it is that long ago. They still sell only the 90915 yzzd1 where I live and if look on eBay Connecelli Toyota was selling them $35 for 10. I don’t have time to look for it now. Maybe some local markets sell the G2. The boxes for a couple years or more now have new graphics with Lexus and Toyota branding. Boxes all red with Toyota only are the old boxes.
I got this one on Amazon two weeks ago.

Yes it does look very similar to a Purolator design. While some filters are better than others, I guess it's true that it won't make a huge difference in engine longevity as long as your filter meets a minimum quality standard... I mean, if Toyota is buying Purolators or at least designing their own filters to be much like Purolators, they seem to be OK running it and not fussing over the very finest filtration design.

Back