VIRGIN STP 8316 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning bitogers and off today to see chiropractor. I have 2 of these filters that I scored for $2 each and this is oldest of the two so I'm chopping it open.

Looks ok to me, lil' wide pleat spacing here and there but serviceable filter for 3-4k OCI. Filter used for Ford ZETEC engines and uses two bypasses I think. Zee0Six nd others know more than me so hopefully they will be along
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
One bypass, Champ clicker type in this case. And a standard adbv and centertube mechanical adbv, sometimes referred to as an anti-siphon valve. Apparently Zetec engine very sensitive to oil drain back. Similar set up found on other equivalent filters like Fram.

Looks ok to me. Looks like a silicone adbv which would be different from other blue STP.

As an aside, no more Champ made STP blue filters at AZ locally. Now China coo manufacturer.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
One bypass, Champ clicker type in this case. And a standard adbv and centertube mechanical adbv, sometimes referred to as an anti-siphon valve. Apparently Zetec engine very sensitive to oil drain back. Similar set up found on other equivalent filters like Fram.

Looks ok to me. Looks like a silicone adbv which would be different from other blue STP.

As an aside, no more Champ made STP blue filters at AZ locally. Now China coo manufacturer.

Has the other bypass; I mangled it trying to take it apart
smile.gif

The current 8316 that's labeled as such is more like a 3600 filter and yeah made in China

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by Sayjac
One bypass, Champ clicker type in this case. And a standard adbv and centertube mechanical adbv, sometimes referred to as an anti-siphon valve.

Has the other bypass; I mangled it trying to take it apart
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

As Sayjac mentioned, that's the "anti-siphoning" valve. Not really a bypass valve because it doesn't make anything bypass.

The anti-siphoning valve is basically a spring loaded ADBV located in the center tube which holds the oil in the filter center tube when the engine is shut off. When the engine runs, the pump pressure opens the soft spring on the valve, so it adds hardly any flow resistance.

Anytime Stude, thanks for all your C&Ps. Always good to see the various filter constructions.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Anytime Stude, thanks for all your C&Ps. Always good to see the various filter constructions.

You are welcome Zee0Six.

I can't find my FRAM 8316 c&p from while ago I did
frown.gif

Thanks for the C&P.
KCJEEP sent me this same exact filter a few years ago to try on my F-150, 4.2 V6. Sometimes upon startup my engine sounded like a wood pecker on a street light.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Thanks for the C&P.
KCJEEP sent me this same exact filter a few years ago to try on my F-150, 4.2 V6. Sometimes upon startup my engine sounded like a wood pecker on a street light.
confused2.gif

Are you sure that wasn't for a different filter?

Last Sunday I had my friend change the oil and filter in my F150 (Havoline 5W20 HM/NAPA GOLD #1516). The oil drained out was Castrol 0W40 along with a NAPA GOLD #1516 oil filter. The oil and filter had been in/on for almost a year/7K miles.
This morning, upon startup, there was a "TICK" sound. It was there and gone instantaneously. The last time my engine ever made a ticking sound was about 5-6 years ago. I put a PRO-SELECT oil filter on there. Upon startup, it sounded like a woodpecker on a street light!
I'm using the same oil filter on this OCI as was on the last OCI. Things that make you go "Hmmmmm.......!"

Originally Posted by kschachn
Perhaps that first post was by his friend, what was his name again?

Duntov283 I believe
wink.gif

Yeah, I ran some of these filters without ever a issue. Have a bunch of TG 8316 to use up also

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Thanks for the C&P.
confused2.gif

Are you sure that wasn't for a different filter?

Last Sunday I had my friend change the oil and filter in my F150 (Havoline 5W20 HM/NAPA GOLD #1516). The oil drained out was Castrol 0W40 along with a NAPA GOLD #1516 oil filter. The oil and filter had been in/on for almost a year/7K miles.
This morning, upon startup, there was a "TICK" sound. It was there and gone instantaneously. The last time my engine ever made a ticking sound was about 5-6 years ago. I put a PRO-SELECT oil filter on there. Upon startup, it sounded like a woodpecker on a street light!
I'm using the same oil filter on this OCI as was on the last OCI. Things that make you go "Hmmmmm.......!"

Yes, it also happened when I had a PRO SELECT filter installed by TIRE KINGDOM. The PS sounded like 3 wood peckers on a street light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back