Vintage

Inherited a Marlin 60 in the box. Vintage 1960s-1970s semi-automatic. Pristine appearance, action was clean, lands and grooves cleaned well from Hoppe’s #9, performed well, but when I cleaned the magazine tube the rust was overwhelming the patch. Three or four runs with Hoppe’s cleaned it, but I’m wondering if I should use a different liquid than bore cleaner.
Any thoughts?

Those old guns were treated with Cosmoline back in the day. That has to be cleaned out if never fired.

Gun had been fired and cleaned, but the magazine tube was probably never cleaned.
I don’t think many rounds went through it, and it sat in the original box watching the decades go by.

I still have an old bottle of ’Brake Free’ that I use for such tasks. That stuff will dissolve most anything.

I have gotten into the habit of cleaning the inside of the magazine tubes on ALL of my tubular magazine rimfire semi autos and lever actions, after every range session. It just takes a minute or two.

I find that using a .35 / .40 caliber patch, followed with a similar sized bore mop saturated with oil, does the trick nicely.

It's unbelievable the amount of crap that can accumulate inside a magazine tube. Dirt, old wax and bullet lube, name it and you'll find it. Rimfire ammo attracts dust and dirt because most of the bullet lube used is tacky, and dirt sticks to it like mad. (Especially the cheap bulk pack stuff).

I've found by doing this it really cuts down on jams and misfeeds, that before I was blaming on the ammo.

After cleaning the mag tube, I put 200 rounds of CCI mini-mag through it without a single FTE or FTF. Staggering.
I won’t blame ammunition anymore either.

I have gotten into the habit of cleaning the inside of the magazine tubes on ALL of my tubular magazine rimfire semi autos and lever actions, after every range session. It just takes a minute or two.

I find that using a .35 / .40 caliber patch, followed with a similar sized bore mop saturated with oil, does the trick nicely.

It's unbelievable the amount of crap that can accumulate inside a magazine tube. Dirt, old wax and bullet lube, name it and you'll find it. Rimfire ammo attracts dust and dirt because most of the bullet lube used is tacky, and dirt sticks to it like mad. (Especially the cheap bulk pack stuff).

I've found by doing this it really cuts down on jams and misfeeds, that before I was blaming on the ammo.
I need to do this on our Winchester 63.

Back