Villa Montalvo Low Rider Show

Villa Montalvo, at the foot of the Sarataga Mountains, is a 166 acre park offers a peaceful environment among formal gardens. Villa Montalvo was built in 1912 and was Senator Phelan's favorite home. It became a center for artistic, political, and social life in Northern California. The Montalvo Arts Center has continued to nurture this artistic oasis and provides opportunities for creation and presentation of arts of all types.
1693180410215.png

Today Montalvo hosted its 1st Low Rider Art Showcase. The Low Rider lifestyle in our area is strong. I cannot fathom conceiving such work, designing, engineering and ultimately build and realize such a project. These cars are art canvases that you can drive anywhere as well as beautify San Jose and our surrounding areas. The cost and skill required is off the charts.
We sat in on one of the panel discussions listening to an old timer from Mexico who graduated San Jose State, became an artist and worked for early electronics; he designed the Apple Logo for Steve Jobs. Lotta history. There were painters, pin stripe artists, you name it.
1693180845610.png

1693180875792.png

Thank you for posting this, JK. It stirs up such great memories.

I've been to many concerts there at Villa Montalvo. Ray Charles, Larry Carlton, Tower of Power, etc there on the lawn. Joe Sample, Laurie Anderson, Jethro Tull, Steve Winwood, etc around back at the amphitheater.

My first car was a 1963 Chevy Impala. It was nice, but nothing like this blue beauty.

Thank you for posting this, JK. It stirs up such great memories.

I've been to many concerts there at Villa Montalvo. Ray Charles, Larry Carlton, Tower of Power, etc there on the lawn. Joe Sample, Laurie Anderson, Jethro Tull, Steve Winwood, etc around back at the amphitheater.

My first car was a 1963 Chevy Impala. It was nice, but nothing like this blue beauty.
It's about time our Low Rider community has been offered such a stage. Everyone was so happy and friendly. Perfect day for a salute to these incredible artists. I shoulda took more pics, but I ain't much of a photographer.
1693182617046.jpg

Back