Venting- re : shop liability....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took my sable to the local Valvoline instant oil change, had a $24.99 coupon, and after overshooting my ramps a couple times, I'm still a bit gun-shy..

They were unable to change my oil b/c of the fumoto valve I have installed. " Do you know where you took it the last time? Do you know there's not a drain plug?"

The last oil change was in my driveway, and yes, I installed a fumoto valve a couple years back..

"Well, we can't change your oil, the liability would be too great if we couldn't get it to close"

Whatever...

I started looking around, b/c I had the factory plug in the car the other day (was going to trade the car in - another story) but I guess it's back in the house somewhere...

This would have been the first time I've paid someone to change oil in my car since...2011....

Last edited:
I'm sure an indy shop would do it for you without a hitch. But the corporate chain type places would prob turn you down like you found out.

You can't slide a shallow but wide pan a flip the lever on the Fumoto to drain the oil ?

I have no problem doing this on my RSX.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
You can't slide a shallow but wide pan a flip the lever on the Fumoto to drain the oil ?

I have no problem doing this on my RSX.

I'm too fat, and my arms too short to reach that far under from outside the car's footprint.
Unfortunately I need to be able to slide under somehow...

Last edited:
Should have just had them remove the valve and put in a regular drain bolt. Lots of times they have spare bolts in case they strip one.

Sometimes making things simpler isn't that simple.

I think it's good they told you outright they wouldn't do the oil change. Better than having them saying yes, and you ending up with a puddle of oil in your driveway because the guy didn't close the valve properly.

I would think any decent mechanic would know how to use the fumoto or would be able to figure it out. I'd be deathly afraid to let someone touch my car who can't figure out something as simple as a fumoto.

With liability and lawsuits as they are, it only takes one incident to make a new rule. Fumoto valves are great for do it yourself types but if you are not going to change the oil then get the drain plug back in there. They should be able to work with you with that.

Where I work, if a car comes in with a fumoto valve, we have to stop and talk to the customer. "Sir, we can do the service on your vehicle today, but we have to remove the fumoto valve and replace it with the OE plug and gasket." Most of the drivers decline and drive off.

Originally Posted by earlyre
after overshooting my ramps a couple times, I'm still a bit gun-shy..

I'm too fat, and my arms too short to reach that far under from outside the car's footprint.
Unfortunately I need to be able to slide under somehow...

Sounds like a job for a jack and jack stand.

I'm somewhat surprised professional places won't just let the customer sign a waiver about the valve.

When I hurt my back and had a Fumoto valve on my vehicle and couldn't change my oil for a period of time I went to the quick lube place around the corner when my dad couldn't do it and they had no problem using my Fumoto Valve. I had to explain how to open it but once they did it they were fine with it.

If they're so inexperienced they can't figure the valve out, yeah you don't want them touching your car. Remember they're not just changing the oil, they're poking around everywhere trying to find more services to sell to you. You might be surprised how easy it is for some kid to break your air filter box latches off because the screwdriver used to pry it open, was not the right way to do it!

Yeah, they tried to sell me an air filter ($24.99!) B/c mine was slightly dirty... Told them I have one @home, which I do, but I also installed a restriction gauge on the air box 2 summers ago... It hasn't even budged...

It's because they have to torque the drain plug, put that blue goop on there, and have a 2nd person sign the work order.

They don't want your oddball gizmo wrecking your engine and having them get sued.

It's not even their rule, it goes back to their insurance company-- unless, of course, they're self-insured.

In their minds, it's a trap. You aren't a customer, but a liability.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
You mean that fumoto valve didn't make a snap and you still have to crawl under you car?

Make a snap?

Of course I have to crawl under, the filter is right next to the drain...and I can't reach far enough from the side....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back