Vehicle Recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

A friend of mine asked what his next car should be...(we bounce ideas off each other regularly). So what should I recommend to him?... He wants something reliable with reasonable fuel economy.. Some comfort features, but does like to kayak, biking, outdoor activities and has a dog he brings along with him. Occasionally he may sleep in the vehicle too. He is looking at a Subaru Outback, but is open to ideas... If the Honda Element was still made, it would be a strong contender... He doesn't want new but not old.. I was thinking a Toyota Highlander, the Subaru Outback, or??? What do you think? What should I recommend?

I would not buy any used vehicle that was a cvt drive.

Nissan Frontier and buy the tent.

https://www.autoanything.com/truck-tents/napier-backroadz-truck-tent

[Linked Image from b.cdnbrm.com]

Last edited:
The Element was made until 2009, so that should be new enough
smile.gif

If not, consider a Transit Connect, Mazda 5, or 4-cylinder Sienna (they only offered this for a couple years). The TSX wagon is also good.

What is his budget?

Depending on how tall he is and how large his dog is....Outback is a good choice...I'd recommend the 6 cylinder version, with the 5 speed auto if he goes that route.

Frontier = bulletproof, so the reliability is there at the cost of fuel efficiency.

Budget numbers would help.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Depending on how tall he is and how large his dog is....Outback is a good choice...I'd recommend the 6 cylinder version, with the 5 speed auto if he goes that route.

Frontier = bulletproof, so the reliability is there at the cost of fuel efficiency.

Nothing is bulletproof. 4.0L Frontiers from 2005-2010 had significant problems with coolant getting into the transmission due to a defective transmission cooler in the original Calsonic radiators. You might think that all of the bad ones would have been junked or fixed by now, but I'll be working on one this weekend. The transmission is most likely junk, and will cost near $4000 to fix after everything is done. That is more than the truck will ever be worth.

Originally Posted by Redright9
Hello,

A friend of mine asked what his next car should be...(we bounce ideas off each other regularly). So what should I recommend to him?... He wants something reliable with reasonable fuel economy.. Some comfort features, but does like to kayak, biking, outdoor activities and has a dog he brings along with him. Occasionally he may sleep in the vehicle too. He is looking at a Subaru Outback, but is open to ideas... If the Honda Element was still made, it would be a strong contender... He doesn't want new but not old.. I was thinking a Toyota Highlander, the Subaru Outback, or??? What do you think? What should I recommend?

Highlander, 4Runner, GX460.

Budget makes a big difference in what is going to be mentioned...

If your friend doesn't venture very far offroad, an Outback with the 6 speed manual is what I would go for. If he will do more than the occasional dirt road, I would recommend a 2006-2009 4Runner. Both of my suggestions can easily be bad for under $15k with reasonable mileage.

There might be a couple of CPO Honda Ridgelines starting to turn up from short-term leases, etc. That would be a perfect vehicle for the described use.

As far as budget, he didn't really mention a price range. He has always bought really cheap cars ($500-$1000) and spend $500 every six months fixing little things than a $500 a month payment. He is tired of old cars and something always being wrong. He still doesnt want new, but is ready to spend a little on a car. As anyone would be, cheaper the better, but he would be fine spending $15k on the right car. If the right ride is more, then he will spend more.. but hoping for the 15ish range.

Mazda CX-5
Outback/Crosstrek (lots of parts around to make it more aggressive off-road if he wishes to do so)
Rav4
CRV
Mazda 3 wagons

Originally Posted by Pew
Mazda CX-5
Outback/Crosstrek (lots of parts around to make it more aggressive off-road if he wishes to do so)
Rav4
CRV
Mazda 3 wagons

Bought an hatchback Mazda 3 last month. It's a great little car! A little bit noisy, but is a pleasure to drive. Picked an older one with a MZR 2.0 engine without all that GDI non-sense!

Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger

Nothing is bulletproof. 4.0L Frontiers from 2005-2010 had significant problems with coolant getting into the transmission due to a defective transmission cooler in the original Calsonic radiators. You might think that all of the bad ones would have been junked or fixed by now, but I'll be working on one this weekend. The transmission is most likely junk, and will cost near $4000 to fix after everything is done. That is more than the truck will ever be worth.

I should have said "manual transmission".

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
He couls go to Hertz car sales and get a 2017 Rogue AWD for $11K for an 80K car to $19K for a 2019 with 14K miles.

But that won't be reliable with Nissan's CVT....

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
He couls go to Hertz car sales and get a 2017 Rogue AWD for $11K for an 80K car to $19K for a 2019 with 14K miles.

But that won't be reliable with Nissan's CVT....

Service the transmission and it should be fine.
The earlier ones were problematic; I believe these are fine.
I guess you could purchase an extended warranty for some piece of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back