VCT vs cove base adhesive

At work I’m fixing a few sections of loose cove base, lowes didn’t have small quart sized containers or regular caulk gun sized tubes so my question is. I found a quart sized tub of universal VCT/rubber backed sheet vinyl etc adhesive.. no where on the container does it state cove base. What’s the difference between the two adhesives both are fast grab and pressure sensitive adhesives? I have a v notched applicator and in my head cove base is a rubberized vinyl so why couldn’t this universal flooring adhesive work.

Appreciate any input from a flooring guy or carpenter my things electrical and plumbing but in a job position that now i do general facility maintenance.

Last edited:
I wish I could help but all I can do is relate to the frustration of being at Home Depot, reading all the labels on the different flooring adhesives and still being uncertain on which one is appropriate. Surely somebody here has some input.

Cove base adhesive usually comes in a caulking tube. It is much thicker and gets “assembled” wet. It also fills in gaps and surface irregularities. I would only use cove base adhesive on vinyl base. It should be in the flooring department.

VCT adhesive is much too runny and slow to set up to be effective as cove base adhesive. You'd be better off using liquid nails or some other construction adhesive as a substitute. The VCT adhesive will be a huge mess on a vertical surface. I've installed miles of vinyl/rubber covebase at my old job.

just use liquid nails in a caulk tube,put a zig zag bead on ,press together,pull apart wait couple of minutes,,press firmly back, good to go ,or use contact cement works also

Back