Valvoline Synpower VS Chevron Techron

Status
Not open for further replies.
MSDS for Valvoline Synpower

KEROSENE 8008-20-6 52.0- 62.0 LT HYDROTREATED PETROLEUM DISTILLATE (IN 64742-47-8 28.0- 38.0 STODDARD SOLVENT (INDISC) 8052-41-3 6.0- 16.0

MSDS for Chevron Techron
Distillates, hydrotreated light 64742-47-8 < 50 %weight Stoddard solvent 8052-41-3 < 35 %weight Solvent naphtha, light aromatic 64742-95-6 5 - 10 %weight Benzene, 1,2,4-trimethyl- 95-63-6 1 - 5 %weight Xylene 1330-20-7 0.1 - 0.5 %weight.

This maybe a clue why some UOA's using Chevron Techron is showing a slight increase in lead. But more testing whould have to done for an more accurate results.

But this does prove to me that Valvoline Synpower is a good alturnative to Chevron Techron.
twocents.gif

The important part of Techron, the detergent, is not required to be listed on an MSDS. A comparison of these MSD sheets is not particularly informative if product effectiveness is being evaluated.

Dave, can you tell me why you think this MSDS explains the slight increase in lead in some UOA's? I'm not a chemist... Does one of those components (the trimethyl one?) contain lead? I thought lead was outlawed in both fuel and additives?

I *am* a chemist, and neither xylene nor trimethylbenzene nor anything else listed there has lead in it. Unless dave means the Techron components would be more likely to chew up lead-containing engine parts, which I really don't know.

I would agree though that the MSDS is not helpful in comparing products like this. Probably every fuel additive ever made lists "petroleum distillates" and "stoddard solvent". MSDSes are worded to give you a general idea of possibly dangerous compounds, not specifics to let you reverse engineer stuff.

Quote:

Unless dave means the Techron components would be more likely to chew up lead-containing engine parts, which I really don't know.

As I recall (from memory), Terry has said that the aromatics of some of these products reduce the oils ability to propery lubricate. This causes high wear.

If you get THAT much fuel into your oil, then you have other problems anyways.

By this MSDS, Synpower looks like overpriced kerosene and other solvents.

What makes Synpower better? A chemist may correct me, but I believe all of those ingredients are fillers. At least they don't try to sell kerosene as a benefit like STP.
smirk.gif

Synpower must have something in it since it killed the injectors on my 88 GP(a common problem with injector cleaners and those injectors), but this MSDS tells me nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back