Valvoline Synpower love?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Valvoline Synpower and Napa synthetic are two completely different oils as stated by Ashland.
If you say so.

I didn't say so,Ashland said so. Please learn to read before responding. Use the *search* feature and you'll see my copy and paste from Ashland.

About some saying they're "similar" and not being different oils. SN rated RP has been said to be "similar" to Valvoline here on this site via analyses,but they are two completely different oils. A set of biological twins are "similar",but they are two completely different entities.

Valvoline Synpower and Napa synthetic are two completely different oils as stated by Ashland.

Now how different are they? My money is on a little dash of this, and little dash of that!

From Valvoline Tech Line:

"The Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Motor Oil and the NAPA Full Synthetic Motor Oil products feature different additive and detergent packages. The base stocks for both products are the same. Attached to this email is the Product Information sheet for the NAPA products. The GM dexos1 specification will be specified on the sheet. Also, GM runs www.gmdexos.com which they update with all approved products. NAPA products will appear on this list."

Such is the spiral of every SynPowef thread

- It's a good oil, but I don't buy it because I can get M1 for less
- then buy Napa it's the same thing and just as cheap
- M1 is still cheaper when you use rebates
- wait !! Napa is Not the same thing
- yes it is
- no it isn't
- etc

Originally Posted By: BigD1

Now how different are they? My money is on a little dash of this, and little dash of that!

From Valvoline Tech Line:

"The Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Motor Oil and the NAPA Full Synthetic Motor Oil products feature different additive and detergent packages. The base stocks for both products are the same. Attached to this email is the Product Information sheet for the NAPA products. The GM dexos1 specification will be specified on the sheet. Also, GM runs www.gmdexos.com which they update with all approved products. NAPA products will appear on this list."

I was aware of this before I called...again just saying what the tech told me...but valvoline has had interesting customer service...the last guy I spoke with never heard of the daily protection that was in meijer stores...so I guess you can take what you will from that.

VWB vs. PYB (former label) ? Although VWB may show some good UOA's I believe the same vehicle running the same grade dino in PYB would show better for the same price . I'm not a Pennzoil fan boy but nothing about Valvoline sitting next to competitors on the shelf for the same price never made me want to consider Valvoline - the lone exception would be Max Life (maybe) .

I ain't trying to give you a hard time here at all man. When you get the chance look up Lubrigold 5w30 Dexos approved and HTO-06 and Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 on the PQIA site test results. Those two look remarkably similar in their VOAs as well. Is it possible that Warren oil gets their synthetic oil bases from Pennzoil?? Could well be by the looks of those VOAs.

I do see what you are saying and in fact I agree with your accurate observations about Napa and Valvoline oils being so similar in VOA results. It's not like you are off on a strange far away island with your line of thinking here. In fact what you say does make a lot of sense.

However, at the end of the day a relatively simple $40 VOA test result is not comprehensive enough to draw a air tight conclusion either. It is helpful to a degree no doubt. But it's not definitive above all doubt either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
look up Lubrigold 5w30 Dexos approved and HTO-06

Lubrigold !!!!

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/lubrigold.htm

lgbanner.png

That stuff looks so good I would decorate my Christmas tree with it.

About some saying they're "similar" and not being different oils. SN rated RP has been said to be "similar" to Valvoline here on this site via analyses,but they are two completely different oils. A set of biological twins are "similar",but they are two completely different entities.

Um, no. Both Napa and Synpower use nearly identical additives in their respective packages. If I were to post the VOA's here, you couldn't tell which one was which without checking. Perhaps SP has some extra organic additives. Perhaps. But techs at Valvoline have also stated that the base oils are the same yet there is a discrepancy between the data sheets which leads me to believe they may be fibbing and both are pretty much the same oil.

Anyways. Who cares? You can actually buy Synpower for less if you use rebates!

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Um, no. Both Napa and Synpower use nearly identical additives in their respective packages. If I were to post the VOA's here, you couldn't tell which one was which without checking. Perhaps SP has some extra organic additives. Perhaps. But techs at Valvoline have also stated that the base oils are the same yet there is a discrepancy between the data sheets which leads me to believe they may be fibbing and both are pretty much the same oil.

Anyways. Who cares? You can actually buy Synpower for less if you use rebates!

I got the best rebate of them all,the 5 cent per quart AAP "clearance rebate"
laugh.gif
I would like to try Napa's 15W50 though one day.

I just put some Synpower in the Sentra for the first time today. I'm hoping for an uneventful OCI like the others have been.

I've never had an oil event and I've been owning vehicles for 47 years. Even had three over the years that added significant coolant from blown intakes - having to drive two of those vehicles home from work with steamy smoke coming out the tailpipe for several miles.

Even so, the engine and pan got cleaned up and the vehicles ran real nice afterwards..... like nothing happened.

That is quite true. But, "completely different" is a very subjective phrasing. One could argue that Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 and Valvoline Synpower 10w-30 are completely different oils.

As I stated before, I believe them that Synpower and Napa Synthetic are different oils. But, when two oils come from one blender with a similar additive package and fairly similar base stocks, and carry the same certifications, they tend to be a lot more similar than different. It's not like one is an A3/B4 with a calcium/magnesium package and the other is a highly friction modified ILSAC oil with a calcium package.

In the same vein, Quaker State 5w-30 SN/GF-5 and Formula Shell 5w-30 SN/GF-5 are likely a lot more similar than are Quaker State 5w-30 SN/GF-5 and Rotella 15w-40 CJ-4.

In the end, I'd be content with Valvoline Synpower or VWB or Napa conventional or Napa synthetic. Here, Napa regularly has their stuff on sale, and would save me from the Walmart experience, where it's easiest to by Valvoline.
wink.gif

Yeah SR5 I actually found it at a gas station about 35 miles west of me. I was very happy to find it. One of the best containers on the market.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: bbhero
If you dont believe him then call Ashland yourself and see what they say... I'd bet Ashland will say exactly what aquariuscsm says here. They are different oils blended by Ashland.
I'm sure they don't come from the same pot, but they are very similar, he said they are completely different which if you look at PQIA's analysis they are very close.

If I cooked chili in 2 different pots on my stove, one had a dash of cayenne pepper and the other instead had a dash of black pepper, I could say they're 2 different recipes. Very very close, but very similar. That's what I assume the difference is like to SynPower and Napa Synthetic.

Nick1994, I agree. And besides, so what if they're different ... big deal, who cares. This NAPA Syn vs Valvoline SynPower nonsense is getting old. It's certainly not worth wasting one's time calling Ashland about it.

Hey hoss.... I am not calling them. I am clearly stating if someone has a question..... Pick up the phone and use it to ask questions of them. Why speculate and not just call and ask if there's a question?? It's not a real hard thing to do. Or all that time consuming.

I do not have any real questions about it. If someone wants to believe the two products are the EXACT same... Well, go on with it. If someone wants to believe they are totally different products... Go on with it. If someone wants to believe they are very similar but could be slightly different.... The sun will come up tomorrow. No big deal.

I like Valvoline oils. They are very good oils. Ashland makes Valvoline and Napa oil. If Napa meets Dexos which it obviously does... Is a fine oil. There's nothing too shabby about that at all. For $2.99 a qt it's a really good deal.

I don't think a $40 VOA can tell enough to make the case 100 percent that two products are the exact same. But it does show that the two are very similar indeed as to what you can see from a spectrometry test. Which is a start to a final answer. But a VOA is only a start. A good one for sure. But it's only a start.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back