Valvoline Premium Blue Restore

People forget the "Long Haul Truckers" are the backbone of our Country. Everyone loves Walmart, but they forget about the people who deliver the merchandise.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

I can see the cost making sense. If you have an ISX that is burning a lot of oil it is for sure making a mess of the DPF. The cost of the fuel used in excess re-gens and then the premature removal of the DPF to be baked/cleaned would add up to a lot of money very quick. The only other option to fix the oil consumption is to tear into the engine and replace likely liners, pistons and rings..that ain't cheap either. On an EPA 07 rules engine this is a big problem.

I agree very much with Tired Trucker's comments.

Hmmmmm.... *what if* someone adds a gallon of this at every oil change?

(Like an oil additive")

Would that prevent the problem from occurring in the first place?

Originally Posted By: monster1
Tractor supply has it cheaper if it's the same stuff.

Thats regular premium blue, not restore. Totally different.

I think the money is worth it if it will keep your SMOG system working well. The air districts are getting very touchy about how clean some vehicles are. You gotta roll in with recent certs or you don't get to load ...

Out here (barely on the edge of the SF Bay Area Air District) no one is checking much yet... But roll south of Vallejo and things get dicier. Try to load in the Port of Oakland, absolutely a nightmare. And that's one of the biggest container ports on the west coast.

More than one freight forwarder uses dedicated trucks to go to the port and load. Then swaps to long haul once the container is back at the yard ...

I might grab some to try in a gas engine that is doing 1 qt of oil every 800 miles ...

I wonder how this would work for some of the 'Yota's out there with oil ring drain blockage issues ...

Last edited:
Methinks I'll try some of this in a gas engine oil drinker I have in mind. I'll only have to buy the gallon.

Think about it. This is a factory developed problem solver for a specific issue. This is NOT snake oil. If Cummins and Valvoline hadn't tested this to work at cleaning ring packs, this oil wouldn't exist.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: CT8
How many people with Class 8 vehicles are going to use this when $13.00 per gallon Delo or Delvac and Rotella etc will allow over a million miles OTR. 12 gallons @ $73.00 per gallon! A thousand dollar + oil change. I hope it saves a ton of fuel! It must come with coupons for the lot lizards at select truck stops across the nation.

This is not designed to be used full-time as a replacement for regular HD engine oils. It was developed by Valvoline in conjunction with Cummins engineers to address a specific problem some of their engines were having with excessive carbon buildup on the rings, which would cause them to stick and send oil consumption through the roof. Cummins TSB150163 goes into detail as to when and how to use this oil to clean out an engine that is suffering from this problem. Once the engine is cleaned out, Cummins recommends Restore be used for one OCI per year thereafter to prevent the carbon buildup from recurring. Compared to the cost of a tear down and ring replacement, $1000 for an oil change is chump change.

Does the 5.9 cummins fall into this category or is it the bigger commercial used engines?

Last edited:
I'm thinking this could be an excellent fix for injector stiction that the Ford PowerStrokes suffer!! Ultimately, it is believed that stiction occurs when the spool valves in the injectors gets gummed/varnished up from lackluster oils and long OCI's. This could be the ticket vs having to pour that horrible HotShots [censored] in them.

Where can I get a couple gallons?

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I'm thinking this could be an excellent fix for injector stiction that the Ford PowerStrokes suffer!! Ultimately, it is believed that stiction occurs when the spool valves in the injectors gets gummed/varnished up from lackluster oils and long OCI's. This could be the ticket vs having to pour that horrible HotShots [censored] in them.

Where can I get a couple gallons?

True that. https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/valvoline-877377/premium-blue-restore-10w30-gallon-p-vvl-877377 is one. There are not many places to grab some.
Cummins service centers also have them, expensive, but there have been other threads on bitog here where we noted it is made of a lot of great PAO, esters, and some other goodies possibly.

For any vehicle, one summer-time (it's 10w30 thick) oil change with this stuff every 100,000 miles should clean the rings and other junk out.

Originally Posted By: monster1
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: CT8
How many people with Class 8 vehicles are going to use this when $13.00 per gallon Delo or Delvac and Rotella etc will allow over a million miles OTR. 12 gallons @ $73.00 per gallon! A thousand dollar + oil change. I hope it saves a ton of fuel! It must come with coupons for the lot lizards at select truck stops across the nation.

This is not designed to be used full-time as a replacement for regular HD engine oils. It was developed by Valvoline in conjunction with Cummins engineers to address a specific problem some of their engines were having with excessive carbon buildup on the rings, which would cause them to stick and send oil consumption through the roof. Cummins TSB150163 goes into detail as to when and how to use this oil to clean out an engine that is suffering from this problem. Once the engine is cleaned out, Cummins recommends Restore be used for one OCI per year thereafter to prevent the carbon buildup from recurring. Compared to the cost of a tear down and ring replacement, $1000 for an oil change is chump change.

Does the 5.9 cummins fall into this category or is it the bigger commercial used engines?
Seems targeted at the ISX (more a semi tractor engine), but there's no reason it wouldn't work in an ISB/B series 5.9 as well. I don't see a 5.9 Nano Net filter (yet), but the Venturi Combo sized for the Kubota 5.9 works just fine on my 5.9. Using Delvac 1 & TDT 5W40, I'm hoping to avoid the oil burning issue, myself.

Also, M1 TDT/D1 (CI-4) did wonders for my old 300D when I had first bought it-it would barely even idle due to neglect & clogged rings from short trips and gas engine oil when I first bought it, and the M1 cleaned the rings up pretty well, even if it did leak more than dino did.

As the thread states this is exclusively at Cummins. I tried to order it via, Napa. Since they have an intimate relationship with Valvoline. Nay.

Back