Valvoline NG oil in a Diesel

I was given 5 cases or Valvoline premium blue geo m-85 NG engine oil 15w40. It came from a cummins tech and is used in gensets it is cf-4 rated does anybody know how this corresponds to the older Cj4 diesel oil I was told it is pretty much a low ash diesel oil used in CNG and LPG engines for long drain intervals. I want to run it in my 2009 duramax if it meets or exceed Cj4 if not it will go in a friends oil burner heater tried to sell it on Fb marketplace no takers. I emailed Valvoline on their site but have got no response. Just curious if any idea's who to ask. the product code is 875539.

Castrol article comparing HDDO to NG oil: https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...gas-engine-oils-whats-the-difference.htm

From the article: "Adding natural gas engine oil to a diesel engine can lead to increased wear in the valve train, rings / liners, and other high-contact areas in the engine. Soot control would be diminished, resulting in increased oil viscosity. Lower-ash NG engine oils have lower TBN levels, which impacts the ability of the oil to neutralize acids."

What rating is on the oil? Call Valvoline and ask . The Duramax is an expensive engine. They can give a better source on info as compared to BITOG opinion.

No. Do not run natural gas engine oil in a diesel.

The CF4 rating on the oil makes it incompatible to run in an engine that specs CJ4. You can run CJ4 oil in an engine spec'd for CF4. Not the other way around.

Last edited:
Back