Valvoline MTF GL-4 Manual Transmission Lube

MolaKule

Staff member
A mechanic friend of mine wanted to know the makeup of this MTL was so I sent it along with some developmental samples of some of my own lubes. Any element less than or equal to 1 is not listed:

Valvoline Part Number 811095

Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe) 2
Silicon (Si) 13
Potassium (K) Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg) 1627
Calcium (Ca) 14
Phosphorus (P) 1492
Zinc (Zn) 1233
Boron (B)
Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 9.2
Viscosity (cSt 40C) 50.3

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 7.2

It appears that Pennzoil Synchromesh has a competitor in this viscosity range.

Last edited:
are you going to be back in business molakule?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
@MolaKule:

Does that Valvoline MTF bottle actually state it is a GL-4 spec fluid?

No.

The additive package has the typical signature of a GL-4 protection rating.

I would not have stated that it is a GL-4 level MTF if I was not convinced.

Originally Posted By: Rand
are you going to be back in business molakule?
smile.gif

The direction for now is to continue formulating for outside entities.

Does that Valvoline MTF bottle actually state it is a GL-4 spec fluid?
The bottle doesn't show the GL-4 label, but the technical data sheet does. This makes Valvoline Synchromesh appear superior (at least to those unfamilliar) and raises concerns about competitors that don't claim GL-4. However, MolaKule has stated that MTFs on his list have (at least) GL-4 performance properties regardless of whether they explicitly state that they meet GL-4. An explicit GL-4 label sure does make one feel comfortable, though.

Is this fluid synthetic or mineral based?

Torco makes a "special light viscosity" MTF that is GL-5 but claims to be :

"yellow metal safe and can be used in transmissions, transaxles and transfer cases where an ATF, GL-5 or GL-4 light viscosity oil
is recommended."

I'm thinking of trying it next in my 14' Focus MT which calls for a GL-4 75W.

Is this Torco stuff the equivalent of an AMAM coolant (probably would work but is not ideal)? The tech at Torco said it
would work well in my application?

I assume you are skeptical of their claims that it's GL-5 and "yellow metal safe"?

No, just skeptical of what the "TECH' stated. These company tech's have the habit of telling people what they think people want to hear whether or not the fluid actually fits the application.

No, just skeptical of what the "TECH' stated. These company tech's have the habit of telling people what they think people want to hear whether or not the fluid actually fits the application.
Oh, I got ya....I'm thinking it's higher viscosity than the Ford WSS-M2C200-D2 MTF that's factory fill despite their claims of being a "special light viscosity" fluid. I have some Ravenol MTF-3 (GL-4 75W fluid) for my next change at 60K (I used the Volvo stuff for the first change at 30K and it worked great). If I try this stuff it will be at 90K. Thanks Mola...

Back