Valvoline EP 0w-20, 4,775 miles, 2017 Honda CR-V EX 1.5 GDI turbo

What about the oil that is left in the nooks and crannies of the engine?
The issue here is getting the best information possible from successive UOAs, so as to help determine level of concern about fuel dilution.

I remove the oil drain pan plug and drain to one drip every thirty seconds.

This provides basis and consistency for observing trends.

Hopefully you are not suggesting any comparison between "nooks and crannies" vs fumoto valve residue.

Last edited:
The issue here is getting the best information possible from successive UOAs, so as to help determine level of concern about fuel dilution.

I remove the oil drain pan plug and drain to one drip every thirty seconds.

This provides basis and consistency for observing trends.

Hopefully you are not suggesting any comparison between "nooks and crannies" vs fumoto valve residue.
I guess I was. Just wondering about the oil left in the pan contaminates future oil part. Wouldn’t the oil left in the engines “nooks and crannies” contaminate the future oil as well?

I guess I was. Just wondering about the oil left in the pan contaminates future oil part. Wouldn’t the oil left in the engines “nooks and crannies” contaminate the future oil as well?
I would not expect oil in engine nooks and crannies to have effect of much significance, but yes it would be there. On the other hand, oil in the bottom of the pan will have settled particles and will be a few ounces not a few drops.

What are you on about? Blackstone doesn't use GC fuel, that's a well established fact, if all you want to see are the metals and TBN, they are fine, if you are concerned about fuel dilution, using a lab that uses GC only makes sense because the Blackstone fuel figures aren't remotely close to accurate. This isn't about "knowing more than Blackstone", it is simply the limitations of estimating fuel from flashpoint.
Your the winner !!! Go for it
OVERKILLOILLABS

Just wondering about the oil left in the pan contaminates future oil part. Wouldn’t the oil left in the engines “nooks and crannies” contaminate the future oil as well?

The oil left in the engine after draining the pan varies by engine design and complexity and can vary from 0.2-0.6 of a quart of the old oil left throughout the engine that instantly contaminates the new oil being poured in.

This is why you should be changing your oil at a state where it’s still technically healthy and not worn out. That way the new oil plays will with the older & matured old remaining ounces of oil and nothing is “contaminated” 🤭😏😅

I would not expect oil in engine nooks and crannies to have effect of much significance, but yes it would be there. On the other hand, oil in the bottom of the pan will have settled particles and will be a few ounces not a few drops.
😳 have you not seen UOA of oils containing, for example, Titanium continuing to show up in subsequent reports and being flagged by the Lab as proof of residual oil contaminating new oil??? 😒🤦🏻‍♂️😤

Back