Using Snow Tires in Warm(er) Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for advice on running snow tires versus new/newer all seasons for the winters.

The car would be a 2013 Chevy Cruze LS - stock size is 215/60/16.

The car will see about 500 miles a week with my girlfriend commuting to and from work. We live in Southern NY, about an hour Northwest of New York City. The commute is split mainly between local county routes that are 45 mph to 55 mph and highway/interstate 65 mph to 75 mph. Typically the snow is not terrible, we definitely get the occasional big storm for our area and this past winter we saw more than a few bad commuting days.

I've never put snow tires on, and usually opted for new all seasons when needed with my 2 main criteria being treadlife and good snow/ice reviews via tirerack, which has served pretty well dealing with the snow. Given the length of her commute I thought snow tires would be a good idea. From what I've been reading, it's best only to run snow tires with temperatures below 45°F. We occasionally see snow as early as November and as late as March/April, at the same time, we get some days with temperatures above 45°F throughout the month.

So, I'm wondering, is my concern about days above 45°F reasonable? Would I lose significant performance over the lifetime of the tire if it sees some days over 45°F? Advice/thought?

If it matters, here is the count of days above 45°F by month for the last two years:
2011-2012 2012-2013
November 26 12
December 13 10
January 6 4
February 7 1
March 22 5
April 30 26

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons that I use performance winter tires.
They can handle heat better than studless (and dry, water usually too).

Krzys

A bit of driving above 45F is not going to hurt them much. It's not about losing performance as much as it is about just shortening their life... the higher the temps, the quicker they'll wear out.

You may be a good candidate for Nokian WR.

The OEM Firestones are a mixed bag in snow. Some folks think they're okay, some think they're rubbish. My Cruze came OEM with Goodyears, so I can't comment on the OEM tires on your LS from personal experience.

If you have the room to store them, I'd recommend a second set of winter wheels/tires. That will enable you to better match the tires for the weather since the wheels can be thrown on fairly quickly instead of needing to mount/dismount snow tires from the wheels. I didn't put my winter wheels onto my Cruze until nearly Christmas this past winter.

Overall, the Cruze is a tank in the snow. The traction control and stability control work together well to keep the car on the road. The traction control occasionally needs to be switched off to get started in deeper snow, though.

Your weather is pretty similar to us in SE Ontario.
The general timeframes we use around here is put them on in Nov and take them off in late March/early April. Of course watch your local forecast as you may want to put them on or off earlier.

The 45F rule of thumb is average daytime highs.

Overall in the snow, the Cruze was great (big improvement over other vehicles currently on hand - although that's not a tough title to gain over the other cars). The OEM Firestones, IMO are not bad, at least when new. Owned the car since mid-January and it has seen a few inches here and there. Where we live, our road doesn't get a good clearing until after she leaves for work. Her feedback was, the neighborhood was slick roads were fine - whatever that's worth. She opted not to go to work for the major snow storm that hit the Northeast in February (I think that was about 14 or 15 inches by us).

Originally Posted By: sciphi
If you have the room to store them, I'd recommend a second set of winter wheels/tires. That will enable you to better match the tires for the weather since the wheels can be thrown on fairly quickly instead of needing to mount/dismount snow tires from the wheels.

I should have mentioned it, I would plan to mount and store them. Over the life of the car it should be a good decision. We've just seen some odd early snow the last few years, followed by rather warm weather periods. 2011-2012 more than this past year.

Thanks for the input everyone.

For that tore size i would reccomend hankook ipike i have them as winters on my sonata and they are just amazing.

I run Dunlop M3 Wintersports year round on my Audi in Kansas, get about 35,000 miles per set,
quiet on the highway, great snow and ice traction and good enough on dry pavement to be okay in the summer.

A few days here-and-there over 45 F is fine. The 45 degree number is somewhat arbitrary; it's the pavement temperature that's more important. Warm pavement on snow tires will chew them up.

I strongly advise you NOT to run snow tires year round. As soon as you get temperatures consistently above 45, put your other tires on.

I'll let you know soon. The car I just picked up has new Michelin Ice-X tires. Studless.

They did very well on the beach I have to say.
grin.gif

Technically I should save these just for winter but I don't feel like dropping $500 on tires at the moment.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
This is one of the reasons that I use performance winter tires.
They can handle heat better than studless (and dry, water usually too).

Krzys

+1

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: buster
I'll let you know soon. The car I just picked up has new Michelin Ice-X tires. Studless.

They did very well on the beach I have to say.
grin.gif

Technically I should save these just for winter but I don't feel like dropping $500 on tires at the moment.

You might get a good deal later this week, actually:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3037827

Thanks for the heads up!
cheers3.gif

With the winter conditions you see, I'd recommend a winter tire more geared for ice than deep snow. The Michelin X-Ice XI-3 and Nokian Hakka R2 are two good choices. I have a set of the Nokian Hakka R's for my Cruze in 215/60-16, and they suit the car very well. Those choices are also LRR tires, which will pay for the cost premium over non-LRR snow tires over the life of the tire, especially driving 100 miles a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back