using many cans of crc intake cleaner good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would using back too back treatments, of the new crc gdi intake cleaner, be jsut as good as removing the intake manifold and manualy cleaning, with lets say, carb cleaner? I know walnut blasting is the best, seen many pics, youtube vids. I dont have all that stuff. I have a 98 corolla, 84,000 miles on it, and never removed the intake manifold. I dont think ithas na EGR, but think it has some kinda egr solenoid or something.
I am aware the cost, autozone has it for like $13 a can! IM asuming, the valves must be a mess. Though i am having good mileage. I average 176 miles before gas gauge goes below quarter a tank. THats when it gets eaten up pretty fast too empty. Using MMO, sometimes, not all the time, i can go as far as 195 miles. But i use 5-6 ozs. for 8 gallons of shell 87 put in. That fills the tank at quarter a tank. LAst year i ued walmart tcw3, 1 oz per 5 gallons, put 3 ozs in, i was able to go 230 miles! on a tank. Lots of stop n go traffic here.
anyhoo...does anyone think if i bought liqui molly intake cleaner, the can with the hose thatgoes into the air duct, or crc intake cleaner, lets say i dunno 3-5 times, in a row, or over the course of a week, would that do just as good as manualy cleaning?

A few questions -

Do you have carbon buildup?
Is it a turbocharged GDI engine?

From what I have heard from different people (including the former Ford-tech who used to really put down Ford products) is that the turbo GDI engines do not like stuff like Seafoam / spray intake cleaner because it somehow destroys the turbocharger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdmpI4iUyBs

Heres a video i found on youtube, someone used it,it didnt clean 100% it did wonders almost, for the piston tops, but not as good for the tops of valves. So! Had me thinking, repeat treatments back too back, or once a week over a month, might do the trick/ OR perhaps not?

Its not a turbo, its a 1998 toyota corolla. My father had the car before given to me. He bought it used with 35,000 miles on it, but went too jiffy lubes. Under the oil fill cap it was cakish carbon n crud, which eventualy i was able too somewhatclean up doing oil changes myself with better filters and oil. I belive they used castrol dino. The oil would come out BLACK and thick after 3,000 miles only, but that was attributed too me and him using citgo gas. Ive seen this before in a 95 neon i had. the oil would come out as mollases in less than 1,000 miles. Ive switched too shell, exxon, or mobil, all top tier fuels, and the oil dosnt turn black at all, till i hit the 4,000 mile mark. i normaly do it in 6 months, 4,200 miles.
so! i am willing too bet, the valves, intake, are probably a mess.

How about some Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner. If you like the added detergents in the Shell gas this will be a booster to the top tier gas. One can of the CRC cleaner will be fine. For oil how about some Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w30 or 10w30. I wouldn't go nuts on this. Do a slow, gradual cleaning and be done.

It is a corolla, just stick some techron in it, it is not direct injected or anything. Doing some crazy intake cleaning is not going to help it run any faster or better. Since it is probably multi port fuel injected- the intake valves are pretty clean as fuel is going over them every combustion cycle.

If it makes you feel better- get an induction fuel injection cleaning service done- not that it will help much. Your better off changing the spark plugs as it looks like your close to mileage for new plugs.

chris fx did a test with techron. the results, using a micro lens camera, poor. i had also read, and found the literature, the use of thechron may need as much as 19 tanks. thats crazy!
i was under theimpression, corolla, was DI injected. its not port injected. POrt inhjected means the valves are under the injectors. DI means the injectos are under thevalves, so the tops of the valves never really get cleaned. They accumulate gunk via egr system.

So there's presumably a bunch of crusty grit in the intake tract, and its somehow a GOOD idea to spray multiple cans of CRC through the throttle body and break loose all that debris and run it through the cylinders? Not to mention that a strong solvent like CRC strips all the oil off the cylinder walls and makes the the compression rings essentially run unlubricated as it goes through, especially in massive doses.

Is it really that hard to pull the intake and do it right, or use a slow-and-steady method like Techron? Granted, its just a Corolla. But still...

I am fairly certain that engine is not direct injection. If there's no actual issue right now, I'd just go with a slow diet of techron. Or if you're a little antsy, which it sounds like, maybe some Seafoam into a vacuum line?

If it ain't broke..

lol edward dont fix it:) Thats what i dont know..noone can see through an intake like maybe superman could.
I do not know, if it is DI, EFI, multimport or what.

Never did the seafoam on this, the corolla,but when i had my 95 neon OOOOOOO boy did i stink the neighborhood up, on hot humid summer afternoons;) no wind in the air, i still remember 2 times, the sulphury stinky fog that came out thatcars exhaust after using the brake booster line lol, just sitting stagnant in the open air, ever slslowly creeping like a snake or cat, too the other streets lol.
ive come too belive, using seafoam via brake boosterline is just a stinky smoke show.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
Never did the seafoam on this, the corolla,but when i had my 95 neon OOOOOOO boy did i stink the neighborhood up, on hot humid summer afternoons;) no wind in the air, i still remember 2 times, the sulphury stinky fog that came out thatcars exhaust after using the brake booster line lol, just sitting stagnant in the open air, ever slslowly creeping like a snake or cat, too the other streets lol.
ive come too belive, using seafoam via brake boosterline is just a stinky smoke show.

I did it on my 2000 Camry, it was not stinky at all.
A little of black smoke.
So, something must be there to be exhausted out if it is stinky. IMO.

Heh heh, I would try an Italian tune up About 25 miles of 2nd wound up to 70mph. It may take a few runs to burn out the carbon.
grin2.gif

Run some Redline SL-1 through the tank & remove the intake & hand clean it along with the throttle body. Intake is easy to remove

Your corolla is definitely not DI. DI did not become commonplace till a few years ago. In either case, cars of your vintage did not have intake valve issues unless you used troglodyte gas.

Holy smokes! Lots of bad info here!
1. You have a low mileage car that isn't getting great mpg in Stop and go traffic... normal.
2. Your car is port injected meaning the intake valves are probably fine. What makes you think they are so dirty? Only reason I would remove throttle body and intake to clean are idle issues.
You need a fuel cleaner and synthetic oil run at normal changes using the judge of when it gets dark is perfectly fine. Continue that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back