Using diff. drain plug with magnet for fill plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my Pathfinder, the differential drain plug has a magnet, while the fill plug doesn't. The plugs are the same size. Now obviously there shouldn't be fluid above the fill hole most of the time, but the fill plug still gets some contact with fluid (i.e. when you're on an incline I'd think, and I'm sure fluid splashes around in general, too). Wouldn't a drain plug with magnet in the fill plug spot be beneficial to help catch more ferrous wear material? Am I just being crazy and going into diminishing returns here?
21.gif

Filler plug:
00931-R50003.jpg

Drain plug:
32103-R50005.jpg

32103-R50005_1.jpg

Apples and oranges. Is it better? Sure. But definitely not worth the effort to go through actually buying a second magnet just to get it. I'd say skip it.

Use the money for better. Unless you can do this for free then go ahead.

If memory serves, the fill plug on my FX4 had a magnet from the factory and when I removed it the first time (at about 13.3K miles) it had quite a bit of filings on it. I have since changed the rear cover and installed a Mag-Hytec that has a magnetic dipstick and drain plug (so I have effectively 3 magnets in there).

If the cost is minimal--why not?

Definitely into diminishing returns if you already have one.

Lower is better than higher. I would agree that if it's nearly free or very reasonable it certainly has no downside. But you can't expect much.

If your current magnet is gettIng loaded up currently, you could definitely benefit from more surface area to catch particles. If there is barely fuzz at your current oci, then I wouldn't see the point. I have changed abused diffs that have mountains of wear on the magnet, that then come out with only black goo/fuzz after I have owned it for awhile running a quality gear oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back