Using cleaning / shining product in engine compartment

So, as the title says, is it safe to use any products containing silicone anywhere in the engine compartment, or could it cause problems with some sensor or something? Particularly my 2017 Nissan Frontier, with the v/6 and my 98 mustang 3.8 v/6. I have heard somewhere, that it is a big no no, and also that is not a problem. Can I get a professional opinion? I like to keep my engines and engine compartments looking neat and shiny if possible. Of course my 64 and 65 vehicles are no problem, as they don't have all this modern sensors and computers etc.

I never use any "dressing" under the hood. Just wash really well and let it dry. Pretty much all shine products attract mass amounts of dust. Unless you are going to a car show there is zero reason to use them. A clean natural engine bay is the ultimate look

Don

You will be fine as long as you aren't using some 30 year old bottle of Armor All from back when it wasn't water based.

I personally have used 303 Aerospace protectant under the hood to give the plastics and hoses a nice shine. The 303 stuff is rubber friendly so no worries about it causing hoses to crack.

But what you'll find is that any product capable of putting a shine on ends up being a dust magnet. It's just easier to give it a good cleaning with soap and water and then thoroughly dry it. Looks about the same.

I would recommend aerospace 303. One bottle will last you many years and can be used on almost everything that isn't paint.

I have washed engine compartments to remove dirt/grease. I never worried about shining stuff up because I don't have a show car or have the hoid open much.

I've also used Aerospace 303 under the hood with great results. No problem with it attracting dirt. As far as sensors, I've had no issues. Don't spray the entire engine bay. Only spray the plastic and rubber components.

The look is nice, but even more important is that Aerospace 303 helps protect rubber and plastic components from deterioration. If I recall correctly, I read once on their website that Aerospace 303 is not silicone based.

Most engines need some type of dressing on the black plastic pieces on the engine primarily the engine cover. They look terrible after a few years if they don't have something on them. I usually use an Armour All however I need to try the Aerospace 303 since I have read good results from everyone else.

OK, so it seems most of you are saying that the safest approach is to use a water based product. I didn't state it in my original post, but yes, I do go to car shows, which is why I want the extra shiny look. My 65 mustang has garnered many trophies, and the 98 mustang is new to me. It is very clean but looking to add some shine to engine components.

After I clean the engine bay,I use spray wax on the entire bay. I use Pledge to detail rubber/plastics in the engine bay. But I don't soak it. I just spray some on a paper towel and apply to the specific parts that I want to have some shine.

The only sensor you really need to worry about are airflow sensors in the intake. Simply don't dress the engine with the car running and you'll be fine.

There are so many dressings or trim coatings nowadays that have advanced well beyond sticky armor all that won't attract dirt at all.

Right now I'm using up leftover In & Out spray from Adams. I also have CarPro PERL which is a very versatile dressing (don't be scared by the price, it can be diluted depending on application).

[Linked Image]

I'm a big fan of disposable cleaning wipes. You get instant feedback when cleaning. When the wipe gets dirty it's easy to see that you're not done yet,
just keep using them until the wipes come clean.

Mean Green cleaner from DG. I spray it on and let it sit for a while. I will use a nylon brush on a stubborn area if necessary. I start the car just before hosing the cleaner away. If I spray an area I should stay away from the engine will let me know by sputtering. Cheap and fast. I've done this dozens of times before selling a vehicle.

V6 engines I've seen usually have a cavity just under the intake runners that will hold a fluid until it is entirely dried and crusted up. If you spray anything on top of the engine it will pool around your fuel injectors. If you drive it will slosh around and over your valve covers, and I've seen leaky valve covers that would happily suck that stuff in. On a J32 engine I think it might even drain into the timing cover.

What is it with valve covers anyway? I've never seen a single car where the valve covers weren't leaking.

I sprayed some B12 onto my intake boot once and it turned a deep brown color. I think this was accelerated rubber "bloom" caused by the solvents, and probably also because the boot was very aged. I've seen brake cleaner dissolve plastic engine labels. So these are things I would only use very carefully in the engine bay.

In comparison to those options, tire foam like some people use seems to be fairly benign while not attracting dust. However engines are usually so caked up with sludge that I'm worried about using anything that would cause the sludge to drain and accumulate in wire harnesses or hidden places. With the amount of sludge on my engines, unless it's something I can spray wildly everywhere without a problem, there really seems to be no point.

“What is it with valve covers anyway? I've never seen a single car where the valve covers weren't leaking.”

It depends on the make of the car.

I prefer Sonus Motor Kote:

303 Aerospace is my second option but more so for the interior.

Please post a picture of your ‘65 Mustang.

Back