using 30 wt oil for hydraulic

I added some straight 30 wt Autozone non-synthetic oil to a new hoist, is that a bad idea? I didn't fill it all the way (it was nowhere near full, but there's no way to see the level), then the next day got some jack oil at Walmart. Should I dump what's in it and refill with jack oil only? The 30wt I originally got to use in my compressor.

For my Grasshopper zero turn they specify a hydraulic oil with zinc additive (sold by themselves, and v. expensive). Zinc additive is typical for hydraulic oil, and I don't know if it is in usual engine oil or diesel oil. Hydraulic oil costs as much or more than engine oil so why not use engine oil for everything?

An explanation is here. Engine oil should absorb water, but hydraulic oil should reject it.

People would be perfectly happy to work with just one type of oil in mobile hydraulics, i.e. using the same oil in the both the engine and the hydraulics. This, however, is not advisable from either a taxation or a technical perspective, since an engine oil must have good emulsifying properties (up to 50% water), which would be highly detrimental in terms of the lifetime of roller bearings in hydraulic devices.

But if the problem is roller bearings, what about roller cams or other roller bearings in engines? Are they made with different metals for engine use?

Yes, look at the manual.

I have a Bishamon LX series lift table. It specifies SAE 30 oil. There's Wolf's Head in there now.

My father had an engine hoist in his shop (rental purchase). I definitely recall the plate specifying hydraulic oil; NO brake fluid. I "think" dad topped it off with Sta-Lube jack oil.

I added some straight 30 wt Autozone non-synthetic oil to a new hoist, is that a bad idea? I didn't fill it all the way (it was nowhere near full, but there's no way to see the level), then the next day got some jack oil at Walmart. Should I dump what's in it and refill with jack oil only? The 30wt I originally got to use in my compressor.

Is it non-detergent 30w or is it detergent 30w?

I’m more concerned about your compressor statement.

We always used ATF in the reservoirs of our Rotary lifts. Whatever was in bulk dex 3 or later on Mercon V.

I don’t believe simple hydraulic systems are that picky.

Exactly what cb 13 said. Manual pump powered hydraulics just aren't that picky. At a service station I used to own in Central Michigan. I had an outdoor engine hoist that would be subjected to below zero to over 100 degrees. I used a 0W30 in the reservoir and it worked great for decades in all weather. The original fill, not so much. Ive put anything from 10W to 40W and a mix thereof including multi viscosity oils. Seeing you're in Tuscon, you can easily go thicker. I've had good luck with any run of the mill motor oil in a multitude of hand powered hydraulics. If I were to say what oil provided me the best improvement in performance, I'd have to say 15W50. Of all the different oils, I've added, I never had an issue with longevity or performance. I wouldn't overthink it. That said, I'd probably shy away from esters over possible seal compatibility issues. I would think for the long haul, the most important factor for hand powered hydraulics would be oxidative stability. For the ultimate in oxidative stability, an R & O (rust and oxidation) hydraulic oil is what I'd use. But as said above, I'd use pretty much anything.

Back