Used vehicle shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will probably start used vehicle shopping tomorrow with coworker. Going to see a 2006 Ford Escape, 2.3 4cylinder 4wd and 150k from Kentucky. Very clean with over 50 pics of undercarriage and doors. Asking $3900 OBO.

Then going to look at a 2012 Toyota Matrix baseline model with 83k on it.

Never owned a 4wd vehicle but serviced lots of the 2000-2008 Escapes and ones after that as well. Is the 2.3 a duratec like the 2.0 ford used?

Thanks for any tips and advice also
smile.gif

God evening to all
smile.gif

I'd look for good genetics to start with, avoid poor engineering.

I'm sold on Lexus used, most have been completely serviced and recorded, CarFax will have the history.

you get it owning a Toyota.

I owned a 2006 Pontiac Vibe and it was flawless up until a kid hit me. However i think the heater core was going bad as i couldn't seem to keep the windows and windshield from filming over with the heat on when it was cold.

The Escape will be reliable, but I find my 2010 with the 2.5L to be rather underpowered... And it's got more power than the older 2.3L ones... So that thing is gonna be slooooow.

When I went car shopping in 2010, I originally wanted a Matrix. I ended up with a Corolla and have no regrets. It depends what fits your needs for space etc. Good luck, hope you find something you like!

I passed on a Matrix at a local, TRUSTED service station (no gas).
Geared transmission in the Matrix.
Friend's son advised looking at the Vibe. No price differences that I saw.

These vehicles have the engine with the small holes in the piston skirt which clog in the presence of neglect so a solvent flush might be a good idea if you get one.

I don't know anything about the Escape but a Ford anything w/150K is scary. The Escape is a mini-Explorer, no?

Originally Posted by dblshock

I'm sold on Lexus used, most have been completely serviced and recorded, CarFax will have the history.

I still would love to have an IS250.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
The Matrix & Vibes with the 2.4L 4 cyl could be the oil burners between '07-whenever they stopped production.

The AWD Matrix/Vibe, were those all 2.4's? I know the oil burning is an issue with them. I want to say, the 5MT versions are known for having a faulty bearing in them, so they are case where the 4AT is preferred over the MT.

I'm not sure what the budget is, but as always, what are the needs? Is AWD "really" needed or is it something that a decent set of snow tires would fix? Space inside the car, number of doors, mpg requirements?

Yes, Adam, the 2.3 is still the Mazda MZR design, essentially the same as the 2.5 in the Fords and a very good, long lasting design. At only 169-175HP it's not going to win any drag races, but it is sturdy. As far as Ford's "4WD" implementation I will defer to those who own those, because you know where my symmetrical drive loyalties lie
smile.gif

Might I suggest driving a 2010-2013 Forester (I always personally skip the introductory year, even with Subaru)? Same power level as the Escape. You can get them in XT form if you'd like; it's past the HG issues and before the CVTs, and basically the culmination of the original technologies that made Subaru a household name. Only real downside is with only 4 forward "gears" they do hum along around 3k RPM on the highway. You can get heated cloth seats which will be nice in PA
thumbsup2.gif

The matrix im looking at is 1.8 4cyl.

Subyrubieroo: haven't saw many subarus foresters in that year range that have under 100k
frown.gif

Is this 1.8L 4cyl an AWD also?
These are probably the ones to buy even if a bit slow. The 2.4 would have been a nicer engine to drive but, IMO, there is nothing wrong with the 1.8L. Keep in mind that these Matrix/Vibe & Celica are guised up Carolla's. Should be reliable!

Originally Posted by Kira
I passed on a Matrix at a local, TRUSTED service station (no gas).
Geared transmission in the Matrix.
Friend's son advised looking at the Vibe. No price differences that I saw.

Was he saying look at a Vibe because of it being a Pontiac and might be priced lower ? Otherwise, they are the exact same car.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I will probably start used vehicle shopping tomorrow with coworker. Going to see a 2006 Ford Escape, 2.3 4cylinder 4wd and 150k from Kentucky. Very clean with over 50 pics of undercarriage and doors. Asking $3900 OBO.

Then going to look at a 2012 Toyota Matrix baseline model with 83k on it.

Never owned a 4wd vehicle but serviced lots of the 2000-2008 Escapes and ones after that as well. Is the 2.3 a duratec like the 2.0 ford used?

Thanks for any tips and advice also
smile.gif

God evening to all
smile.gif

Just keep in mind that the 1.8L in that Matrix is the 2ZR-FE, which is the non-atkinson cycle version of the 1.8L in my Prius. So, it's the engine that can sometimes blow head gaskets at high mileage. It seems to happen less often on the Matrix/Corolla than the Prius, but it does happen.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Is this 1.8L 4cyl an AWD also?
These are probably the ones to buy even if a bit slow. The 2.4 would have been a nicer engine to drive but, IMO, there is nothing wrong with the 1.8L. Keep in mind that these Matrix/Vibe & Celica are guised up Carolla's. Should be reliable!

I believe its FWD.

TO THE OP: I had a 2003 Pontiac Vibe FWD auto, and 2006 Pontiac Vibe AWD Auto. Here are my .02 cents.

- Look at 2003-2008 Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe. They have the 1ZZ-FE Engine, but with an improved design, so they do not clog up the piston rings and holes with carbon deposits like pre-2003 Corollas and Geo Prizms did. Again, this engine has been updated and 2003-2008 models do not have the oil burning issues. (Unless have been neglected by previous owners.)
- FWD Model is plenty for 95% of driving, although the AWD Is A LOT funner in the snow.
- Average Fuel Economy for me stayed at 29-32mpg for FWD and 26-28mpg for AWD.
- I drove a couple 5-speed versions and liked them as well, although the 5-speed only comes in FWD.
- There is also a 6-speed, that comes with a more powerful 1.8 engine - 2ZZ-FE. 170ish horsepower, but feels like over 200 when the "VVT kicks in". Also only comes in FWD only. That one is slightly less reliable, but VERY fun and only slightly less fuel efficient. It comes in Matrix XRS and Vibe GT Models.

Again, only look at 2003-2008 models as those are the most reliable. 2009 and later models had a lot more issues overall. Hope this helps, let me know if you got any questions.

P.S. My personal best 0-60 in AWD Vibe is 18 seconds, so FWD Is a better option for spirited driving.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by dblshock

I still would love to have an IS250.

What's wrong with the IS350?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back