Used Truck shopping...maybe

Yeah I agree, crazy prices these days! The blue tundra the guy acted like the body damage was no big deal of course.

Dareo, that's a good suggestion but trying to not accrue debt.

Why buy a truck with body damage when there are so many clean trucks out there? If the guy was too cheap to repair collision damage, or only carries liability insurance, I would be suspicious that owner was in an at-fault accident. Likewise if he has collision covered and pocketed the insurance money, and did not fix the collision damage, that raises red flags. Where else is he cutting corners on maintaining the truck?

Debt is not fun, but if a dealer paid you more for your used truck than you bought it for, the used market is well and truly overpriced. If you can live without the truck for a while, say until end of this year, the market could flip again to a glut of new trucks.

Just throwing numbers out there, $15k truck assuming paying cash = just maintenance/repairs each month.

$30k stripper new truck bargain DEC 30th 2020 hypothetical: $15k cash down 15k financed, 72 months 2.5% = $225 a month.

Would you get that value back in fuel savings, maintenance savings, enjoyment of the new truck?

1k miles on a Tundra or V10 Ford, being generous at 14 MPG $177 per month

1k miles on the new truck averaging 17 mpg $146 per month

Never touching the tires, brakes, ignition system, drive train fluids, ect during the initial loan period? Hard to quantify.

All i'm saying is, don't rule out the possibility of going back to a newer truck at some point if you don't find something you really like used. If we get back to dealer lots bursting with vehicles again we will see big discounts. They can all borrow money for nothing and need to push their numbers.

Why buy a truck with body damage when there are so many clean trucks out there? If the guy was too cheap to repair collision damage, or only carries liability insurance, I would be suspicious that owner was in an at-fault accident. Likewise if he has collision covered and pocketed the insurance money, and did not fix the collision damage, that raises red flags. Where else is he cutting corners on maintaining the truck?
Why not? A dent or two lowers the value, while slipshod body repair work can be even worse (think in terms of compromised paint adhesion or rust protection). Plus after 10yr/200k... why bother if it's a New England vehicle? it's got 10 good reasons why it's got no value left.

Now expecting to get top dollar for something with dents... that's just crazy.

Truck shopping these days sucks. I can't imagine paying $20k + for something half used up with no warranty whatsoever, but it seems to be the norm now. Even the Titan is a bad deal.

Looking for a truck right now is even more difficult then when I bought my 1 ton last year and I was pretty happy with that. 2017 Chevy LT 3500HD gasser with 29,000 miles for 36500 out the door with 6800 for my old truck so under 30,000 and I put 5000 down with that. I financed under 25,000 for a two year old 1 ton gasser. I don't think I could find that again right now.
Truck prices are insane. I saw a truck like mine same year gasser 1 ton LT trim with more miles for a little more than what I paid for mine last summer. I am so careful with my truck because I don't want it getting wrecked. I would like to get 12 to 15 years out of it then I will buy my retirement truck.

Last edited:
@panthermike pull this with your Armada, $1800

Brand new. No insurance needed. Maintenance is new $50 tires every 6-8 years. That's it. Permanent tags.

A friend of mine has a Harbor Freight trailer dolly that he moves his boat around with, you can pull this trailer easily straight up to the Armada and hook it up in 2 minutes.

I pulled the trigger on an '08 Titan LE 4x4 with only 79K miles!! All maintenance up to date, very clean for the age and good options to. Guy was nice, honest and owned the entire life of the truck. Love the truck, no ticking, nothing. I'll do the rear axle vent mod and if the exhaust leak happens i'll do it myself.

Thanks all for the help and advice.

Paid well under book value, so it can be done guys but I found you have to act quickly and have funds ready!

Dont know how long before he pulls it:

I pulled the trigger on an '08 Titan LE 4x4 with only 79K miles!! All maintenance up to date, very clean for the age and good options to. Guy was nice, honest and owned the entire life of the truck. Love the truck, no ticking, nothing. I'll do the rear axle vent mod and if the exhaust leak happens i'll do it myself.

Thanks all for the help and advice.

Paid well under book value, so it can be done guys but I found you have to act quickly and have funds ready!

Dont know how long before he pulls it:
Not to shabby man. Looks like a nice truck and it should serve you well. Looks gently used!

Last edited:
looks nice, does that truck have the big tow kit?

Usually if it has a trans temp gauge that means yes.

You may not care either way.

Uncledave, It does have the trans temp gauge. I didn't know about that but sounds like a good thing!

Guessing it does.

The " Big tow" kit gives that truck the numerical equivalent of a 4:11 rear end and a 9500 lb max tow rate.
(nissan does it differently with the same rear end in every truck, but a diff trans, but thats whats its equal to)

See if its got skid plates, Im curious.

Looks like its well taken care of - congrats.

A set of Bilsteins will do wonders to the ride, If you dont tow the 4600's are great if you do go for the 5100's

I havent bothered to leak mine down after a life of VERY hard towing as it doesnt drink a drop and gets the same milage as when it was new. I have zero interest in a new truck at the moment as this fulfills all my current needs.

Guessing it does.

The " Big tow" kit gives that truck the numerical equivalent of a 4:11 rear end and a 9500 lb max tow rate.
(nissan does it differently with the same rear end in every truck, but a diff trans, but thats whats its equal to)

A set of Bilsteins will do wonders to the ride, If you dont tow the 4600's are great if you do go for the 5100's

I havent bothered to leak mine down after a life of VERY hard towing as it doesnt drink a drop and gets the same milage as when it was new. I have zero interest in a new truck at the moment as this fulfills all my current needs.

I'll check for skidplates and thanks for the tip on the Bilsteins. My immediate plans for the truck are tires soonish, oil change, cabin filter, clean maf, fuel cleaner and i'll probably change out all of the fluids on a Saturday. The trans is incredibly easy to do and the diffs aren't bad either.

@panthermike pull this with your Armada, $1800

Brand new. No insurance needed. Maintenance is new $50 tires every 6-8 years. That's it. Permanent tags.

A friend of mine has a Harbor Freight trailer dolly that he moves his boat around with, you can pull this trailer easily straight up to the Armada and hook it up in 2 minutes.

Wow, good deal on a trailer, must not be Utah. Here they go for stupid prices all day long.

Also, Grats OP on finding a rare good deal in the used truck market!

Guessing it does.

You can't tow 9,500 pounds with most half-tons...including the Titan. You run up against MAX PAYLOAD first.

Back