Used FedEx trucks sold by N.J. dealer had fake mileage readings

LOL Holman is big in this area.

Claim:

"Holman Automotive Group, of Mount Laurel, allegedly worked with FedEx to re-market diesel vehicles by committing odometer fraud and selling the vehicles to consumers at inflated prices, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday in federal court."

"FedEx and Holman “have been engaged in the largest odometer fraud scheme in United States automotive history,” the lawsuit alleges."

Ups doesn't sell its old delivery trucks, semis or trailers. We take parts off them and the rest gets scrapped. If you see any old UPS semis or trailers getting auctioned off, it's from when a Canadian company T Force Freight bought UPS Freight.

LOL Holman is big in this area.

Claim:

"Holman Automotive Group, of Mount Laurel, allegedly worked with FedEx to re-market diesel vehicles by committing odometer fraud and selling the vehicles to consumers at inflated prices, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday in federal court."

"FedEx and Holman “have been engaged in the largest odometer fraud scheme in United States automotive history,” the lawsuit alleges."

Someone is doing jail time. Odometer fraud is really being cracked down upon. I'm surprised Fed Ex is involved

Old news.

These allegations were previously brought as non-class action suits in a few different jurisdictions over the past three years or so.

None of them stuck and they've all been dismissed.

Historically, these cases involved a multitude of allegation of vehicle misrepresentation, with the odometer being one of them.

It looks like the class action suit is only honing in on the odometer.

Ask yourself this though, if the defendants “have been engaged in the largest odometer fraud scheme in United States automotive history,” why aren't there any criminal charges filed? Odometer fraud is a very serious criminal offense.

Ups doesn't sell its old delivery trucks, semis or trailers. We take parts off them and the rest gets scrapped. If you see any old UPS semis or trailers getting auctioned off, it's from when a Canadian company T Force Freight bought UPS Freight.
My wife’s hoarder aunt has a UPS trailer with those nice shelves on her property.

The story isn't real clear on how Fedex is actually involved. I presume Fedex sold these trucks to this "Holman" company and their part of the arrangement was done. Fedex doesn't auction their vehicles directly.

And the buyer of the vehicle with only 12k miles should have been suspicious from the start. They probably do 12k miles in 2-3 months when in service.

FedEx has the Ground division that the trailers are owned by FedEx, but the delivery trucks and semis are owned by 3rd party companies.

My wife’s hoarder aunt has a UPS trailer with those nice shelves on her property.

I believe it. But technically it shouldn't happen.You won't see an actual UPS delivery truck that's been sold and repurposed for anything else. When is the last time anyone here has seen an old UPS delivery truck turned into a food truck?

They have been in business for more then 100 years. Every car and truck in that time came in black only. They chose brown to be different and it hides all the dirt from the dirt roads.

IMG_0250.jpeg

And they have a patent on that special brown paint.
As someone who spent his life in the printing industry-most corporate colors are trademarked. Coca Cola Red, John Deere Green, etc. You need special dispensation just to lay ink on paper in those colors.

Last edited:
NJ, ya don't say.

My experience with NJ airports is stunning. They ran on bribes, and refused to do their jobs without adequate cash in advance. Not to mention the $1000+ landing fees, of which the airport never saw a penny. Instead relying on federal funds.

That's wrong. They scrap trucks and tractors, but UPS has sold off thousands of trailers. (My company had several, most still with UPS package handling stickers inside.) These long pre-dated the T-force spinoff.

Old news.

These allegations were previously brought as non-class action suits in a few different jurisdictions over the past three years or so.

None of them stuck and they've all been dismissed.

Historically, these cases involved a multitude of allegation of vehicle misrepresentation, with the odometer being one of them.

It looks like the class action suit is only honing in on the odometer.

Ask yourself this though, if the defendants “have been engaged in the largest odometer fraud scheme in United States automotive history,” why aren't there any criminal charges filed? Odometer fraud is a very serious criminal offense.

One, because the perpetrators may be difficult to find. (If thirty mechanics worked on the trucks, you really can't prove which ones did it.) Two, because a civil suit is MUCH easier to prove. (Indeed, this one looks to be open and shut.)

That's wrong. They scrap trucks and tractors, but UPS has sold off thousands of trailers. (My company had several, most still with UPS package handling stickers inside.) These long pre-dated the T-force spinoff.

One, because the perpetrators may be difficult to find. (If thirty mechanics worked on the trucks, you really can't prove which ones did it.) Two, because a civil suit is MUCH easier to prove. (Indeed, this one looks to be open and shut.)
UPS has sold several package division box trucks, aka tanks or cage cars to Merchants Fleet and rented them back to us in recent times. Some of the Merchants Fleets trucks still have the old UPS equipment # on the front of the hood.

Back