Upgraded network

Status
Not open for further replies.
networkhead.jpg

Upgraded from a Cisco SG 200-08 switch to a SG 200-18. The -08 moved to my room.
The modem is a Motorola SB6121
The computer is doing the actual routing.
Code:
Antec ISK110 (has 80W DC-DC power supply and 90W 19V power brick)

MSI Fuzzy RS690T MiniITX (improved MOSFET & chipset cooling)

Athlon X2 4450B 2.3GHz (Brisbane)

2x hynix 2GB DDR2-667 SO-DIMM

Fujitsu MHW2120BH 120GB 2.5" (Requisitioned from an Xbox 360)

Hardened Gentoo Linux x86_64

Not pictured, though you can see its network cable, is the Ubiqiti UniFi Wireless AP (UAP). Eventually Ill upgrade to the UAP-AC model, but since I have no AC devices at present its not scheduled yet.

The other little box is an interesting little guy. Ive had problems ever since I went to using a Linux machine as my router. Every couple months or so I would make a configuration change that would result in it becoming a black hole. Inaccessible by network. Have to get direct terminal access. On the floor next to the file cabinet is a CRT monitor and keyboard for just such problems. Ive looked all over the place, but I wasnt using the right words because I only found my solution just recently.
Its a Moxa Nport 5110A Serial Device Server. Its hooked to the serial port of my router with a NULL serial cable and connected to the network. My computer is running the driver software that makes it appear as a real COM port to Windows.
After a small configuration file change:
terminal.jpg

Ubiquti has the new Edgerouter that really peaks my interest, but I'm a bit gun-shy of dropping $100 on such a complicated and minimally GUI-d device.

Very nice! I like the setup.

What ISP do you have? What is your rated speeds? Are you getting those speeds?

Originally Posted By: brandini
Ubiquti has the new Edgerouter that really peaks my interest, but I'm a bit gun-shy of dropping $100 on such a complicated and minimally GUI-d device.

Yeah, I looked at that one a bit recently. I had read that the configuration is pretty minimal and advanced.
Im keeping this router for now. Its doing other server type things too and I think it should be plenty of sauce for most any home connection Ill see.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Very nice! I like the setup.

What ISP do you have? What is your rated speeds? Are you getting those speeds?

25/2mbps through Northland Cable.
Im easily getting rated speed. I think CPU load downloading at full bore is about 12-18%, but thats on one core with it scaled down to 1000MHz.
The upload is a little different. Most everything in the house only get 896Kbps up, my computer is on a priority channel with 1.5Mbps, and my brothers Xbox is on a critical channel with 1.5Mbps also, but its prioritized over the Priority channel which is over the Bulk channel. Total limit for Uplink is 1.8Mbps so the Xbox cant dominate everything else to nothing. I keep the maximum lower than rated to avoid caching in the modem link from taking affect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back