UOA--Supertech Severe Use on a 7.3 PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here ya go...If you ever doubted "cheap" Walmart oil.

Screenshot_20181009-150241.png

Last edited:
Thanks.

What were you doing with the truck to categorize the use as "severe" ?

UD

Have you used anything else besides ST 15w-40 in this truck? Would be nice to see if another brand of oil had the same thing with thin viscosity like they mentioned in this UOA.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Thanks.

What were you doing with the truck to categorize the use as "severe" ?

UD

Mostly heavy towing all summer...12k # or more, lots of idling through cattle pastures, extreme summer temps, one long trip to pick up a trailer that was 15 hours away. Man, when I lay it all out, I am pretty impressed with this oil LOL. My oil temps never got above 225, so the truck does a great job of cooling even under pressure.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Have you used anything else besides ST 15w-40 in this truck? Would be nice to see if another brand of oil had the same thing with thin viscosity like they mentioned in this UOA.

The PO used conventional Rotella religiously, but I have used ST since I have owned it. I bought it two years ago and have put about 50k on it since then.

Is it severe use? Sounds more like it was used the way it was intended.

5k is pretty doable on just about any oil.

What does the owners manual say?

I have used this oil in my diesel truck for at least 2 years, there is nothing wrong with this oil.

I bought whatever is the cheapest. This time, the Mobil Delvac 1300S is cheaper after rebate.
So that is what I will use next.

Originally Posted by dlundblad

Ahh yea sounds like what any manufacturer would considered severe use...

1) Mostly heavy towing all summer...12k # or more
2) Lots of idling through cattle pastures
3) Extreme summer temps, one long trip to pick up a trailer that was 15 hours away

To be honest I am impressed with your UOA for a cheap conventional oil. I would definitely agree with you that you put it through severe use.

What oil filter do you use?

Originally Posted by diyjake
To be honest I am impressed with your UOA for a cheap conventional oil. I would definitely agree with you that you put it through severe use.

What oil filter do you use?

Motorcraft from Walmart...10 bucks. They are well made and tough.

Originally Posted by dlundblad

Yeah, I would say that's pretty severe considering dust conditions, dry grass, high outside temps, and the heavy towing for 75% of the miles used. "Normal" might be city driving, very little towing, and no dusty conditions. This was far from that, owners manual or not.

I can be wrong but I think Supertech HD 15W-40 is a dino NOT synthetic for Diesel engine.
Synthetic commonly made to be 5w-40.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
I can be wrong but I think Supertech HD 15W-40 is a dino NOT synthetic for Diesel engine.
Synthetic commonly made to be 5w-40.

Yup, it's conventional, which I think I said a few posts back. I don't use syn in anything anymore. I got off that bandwagon about 10 years ago.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Definitely what Ford would consider severe service conditions. Definitely performed well.

Thanks! I thought so...and my engine looks great too. This is the first UOA I did on this truck. I just did it to get an overall picture of health. I don't normally do them because I change every 5k no matter what.

Seeing this, I can be more confident running Supertech 15W40 in my early 99 7.3, I used it for the last oil change but drained it out with only 100 miles on it for motorcraft 15W40, it made me nervous. Ill try it again as Im due for an oil change

Originally Posted by mobilaltima
Seeing this, I can be more confident running Supertech 15W40 in my early 99 7.3, I used it for the last oil change but drained it out with only 100 miles on it for motorcraft 15W40, it made me nervous. Ill try it again as Im due for an oil change

Supertech made you nervous?! It wouldn't be on the shelf if it didn't work. I guess big name brands have people worried over hype. Use it, save $$, and rest easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back