UOA Sample Bottle

There's a first time for everything.

Last week, my first time over filling an engine, while I'm only 39 I've touched more cars than many working in a quick lube (no judgement, I like to think I was one of the good ones, /self-righteousness) for 5+ years. Temporary concentration lapse. The agony of buffoonery.

Fortunately just 1/4ish qt over. Anyways...

Didn't realize it until a couple days later, the result not letting it sit 1/2 hour before checking for accuracy. I have two official oil checking locations, in my dad's garage (I borrow his lift for all my work) or in a very specific spot in the parking lot at work for the most level sites. These are calibrated spots within BITOG tolerances.

Best way I had to remove that oil was with my analysis pump and I sacrificed a prepaid bottle. So now I have a prepaid UOA without a fresh bottle. The oil that was in it was only 100-110 miles old.

Would you just drain it really well, wipe it out, and roll with it for the next time I want to UOA?

or

Would you pitch it and come up with another bottle that ideally would fit in a sample pump?

or

Something else?

Replies dripping in sarcasm expected.

Last edited:
No sarcasm here,your overthinking it.Clean out the bottle really good.The important thing is you got the oil level to the proper level.Continue on,keep that 1/4 quart in case you have to add.

No sarcasm here,your overthinking it.Clean out the bottle really good.The important thing is you got the oil level to the proper level.Continue on,keep that 1/4 quart in case you have to add.
Unfortunately, the only container I had to put it in was a water bottle. So, it's trash lol.

$5 of HPL appropriately disposed of in an environmentally conscious way.

I have had an oil sample on deck to go out then forgot what car it was from, lol.
So I dumped that in the used oil jerry jug, gave it a rinse with some gasoline, dumped that in the used oil jerry jug, then gave it a rinse with fresh motor oil, and that bottle went mouth down over the generator gas tank. I suppose if you don't want to use gasoline that MAF cleaner or similar would do the trick.
Now I ask why dump 1/4 qt oil overfill.? I dump 1/2 qt over but never had issue with 1/4 over - unless its drag nite and I was searching for a 10th.

I have had an oil sample on deck to go out then forgot what car it was from, lol.
So I dumped that in the used oil jerry jug, gave it a rinse with some gasoline, dumped that in the used oil jerry jug, then gave it a rinse with fresh motor oil, and that bottle went mouth down over the generator gas tank. I suppose if you don't want to use gasoline that MAF cleaner or similar would do the trick.
Now I ask why dump 1/4 qt oil overfill.? I dump 1/2 qt over but never had issue with 1/4 over - unless its drag nite and I was searching for a 10th.
Didn't know how sensitive the 5.7 may be, didn't want to chance anything. Didn't take much effort since I used the pump. It would've been a pain to pull the plug for sure.

The oil level goes down when you run the engine, then its raining oil out the main and rod and cam bearings. That is a deep sump pan in the 5.7 with a full windage tray so not "sensitive".

A gas snowblower is sensitive, your lawn mower is sensitive, many small 4 cyl pass car engine are sensitive.

Image that oil level moving around when you go up or down a steep hill!

03-19 Ram 5.7 Oil pan

oil pan.jpg

windage tray.jpg

Back