Unusual car spotted on old TV rerun.. what is it?

Happened to be watching MeTV+, a "Mayberry RFD" show on, and saw an old probably '60s car I've never seen before. I thought maybe International Harvester, but the tail lights look a little "Oldsmobile". Searched but no pictures like it came up. What is it? Thanks!

Attachments

• metv-car1.jpg
    metv-car1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 140
Should that come up again, check out the Internet Movie Cars Database as they have people who capture and identify cars from most every TV show out there, down to trim levels and options. 😁. I’ve learned plenty on that site…

That is Aunt Bea's, actress Frances Bavier's, personal car... a 1966 Studebaker Daytona. It was shown in the Andy Griffith show's last season. Frances was a loyal Studebaker driver all of her adult life. She wore this particular car out. It has been recently discovered that she purchased an identical car in the early 80's that was like new with very low miles on it so she could continue driving a Studebaker for the rest of her life.

Last edited:
Happened to be watching MeTV+, a "Mayberry RFD" show on, and saw an old probably '60s car I've never seen before. I thought maybe International Harvester, but the tail lights look a little "Oldsmobile". Searched but no pictures like it came up. What is it? Thanks!
Those taillights do resemble the 1960 Olds lights. Maybe the 98s had them like that? My dad had a 1960 Dynamic 88 but it didn't have the chrome strips across the lens.

l learned how to use a clutch on one of them. One of my friends had one with an automatic. When the engine was rebuilt they failed to put retainers in the piston wristpins. They goughed the cylinders terribly. I remember him flooring it up a steep hill and me having to jump out and help the car by pushing.

My friend's uncle had parts of a frame from a Studebaker carriage in his packing shed. The only ID was a Studebaker name plate riveted onto one of the rails.

Thanks for the replies! A lot different than my father's '50 Studebaker!

This was apparently Aunt Bee's final scene, from 1970. "The Mynah Bird" episode. "Sam" (Ken Barry) was driving, Aunt Bee was a passenger.

Great info! It looked familiar but I couldn't be sure it was a Studebaker.

A high school friend's father had a slightly older Lark Daytona. His dad was quite proud of it with the 4 bbl 289 Stude V8. He refused to allow his son to ever drive the car when he turned 16. My friend washed dishes in a diner every night to buy a $50, '59 Fury. That car could teach Christine a few things.

Back