Universal Tractor Transmission Oil (UTTO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking into UTTO (Tractor Hydraulic Fluids). What I am finding in some cases is not good. Under treating the additive is more common than I thought so what I am looking for is what brand do you use and then has anyone done VOA on the product, that way it is possible to tell in most cases what exactly is being done. Believe it or not some of the really cheap products have little or no additive content at all!

I use John Deere HyGard(ISO 46)/HyGard Low Vis(ISO 32). I have never had a VOA done but I have used this fluid exclusively in all of my hydraulic/tractor applications for over 25 years without issue.

You are correct, there are several sub-par fluids available using out of date specs to catch your attention thinking that they're current.

I wonder how "Navi Gard" does.Seems that is always the amongst the lowest price stuff.

So what have you found that is good and what is bad. For tractor or Bobcat?

I buy the stuff at TSC for my Bobcat. Its a TSC brand of tractor and hydraulic fluid.

buy brand name also certain things you learn to avoid.. like ones that list certs from 1970's

Basically you have to look at the physical and chemical properties for a start. We all know that for a UTTO there are only three realistic additive suppliers namely Lubrizol, Oronite and Afton. For all of them we know what the P@C should look like at the correct treat rates. So it's not difficult to figure out when something doesn't look quite right.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
What I am finding in some cases is not good.

Which products in particular are you talking about?

I am not in a position to name names right now for legal reasons but I know that under treating and additive dilution is going on and I'm not the only one. It's worse than ATF! What people have to look for is wording such as 'recommended for use' or 'meets requirements'. The packaging often looks convincing but it seems that the contents are not.

Last edited:
If a customer has any questions about the additive treat rate in a UTTO, I would advise him to get a VOA and submit it here so we can comment.

I don't think under treating is widespread, but as in some motor oils we have seen, via PQIA, there are some unscrupulous distributors out there.

You are correct a new oil analysis is needed. It's a bigger problem than perhaps you think. I have been shocked. That's why I raised this subject.

Last edited:
I would go with the manufacture recomended fluid instead of a universal fluid. On certin applications there is a noticible difference. If it is just a dry clutch standard transmission that uses tge trans fluid for hydraulica then you can get away with a universal fluid. Anything with wet clutches powershift or hydraulic brakes are sometimes touchy.

I always tell people to look for a J20C (or J20D for cold-weather) fluid. That is still the flagship specification for the industry.

The inferior products typically will be made from line wash, napthenic base oils and with little or no additive. They'll make claims like JDT303 or call it "303 Fluid"

Originally Posted By: jake88
I always tell people to look for a J20C (or J20D for cold-weather) fluid. That is still the flagship specification for the industry.

The inferior products typically will be made from line wash, napthenic base oils and with little or no additive. They'll make claims like JDT303 or call it "303 Fluid"

Both eni: super tractor plus that the dealership gave and tsc premium tractor/trans hydraulic fluid both have meets or exceeds j20c certification on them. I still don't think I'd trust either of them in the phase 3 transaxle of 580sk. It calls for case hytran ultra. I'm going to look into mobil 424 fluid.

Closet case dealer that's 38 mi or so away has case hytran ultra for $76 for a 5 gal pail. Emailed a local oil supplier about hytran or an equivalent and still haven't received anything back. The $76/pail is as good of a price as I've found online of cheaper products after shipping. Like 15 gal of lube king case fluid was $300 with shipping. I'd like to hear back from the local oil/fuel vendor, and I'm also going to check on new Holland master trans which I believe is the same fluid. The nh dealer is closer and may be cheaper. I'd like the cheapest route possible, but I definitely don't want to slouch on oil quality. I just want to find a good quality oil to replace in the transaxle and get that junk fram filter off and put on the Baldwin filter I have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back