"Universal" electric coolant circulation pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

A friend supposedly have a coolant pump issue where the impeller went to dust.

While the proper solution is to replace the timing-belt driven coolant pump, I'd like to know if something like a properly sized coolant pump could exist and do the job temporarily while waiting for a complete belts & accessories job.

You would waste more time and effort trying to do a hack job of fitting something in there. Best to wait for the proper parts and not risk possible engine damage.

Originally Posted by Superflan
Hi,

A friend supposedly have a coolant pump issue where the impeller went to dust.

While the proper solution is to replace the timing-belt driven coolant pump, I'd like to know if something like a properly sized coolant pump could exist and do the job temporarily while waiting for a complete belts & accessories job.

Fix it properly.

even if you could install an electric racing coolant pump, there's no guarantee the flow will be the correct amount at the right times to ensure proper engine cooling.

Electric racing pumps use a lot of amps.

since the pump is also the cam drive chain/belt idler pulley, if it fails you are down anyway. Maybe with bent valves. Good electric racing pumps are expensive. Cheap ones will cost you even more.

Rod

Check Summit they have inline electric water pumps that are remote mount. You're going to be out a couple hundred dollars buying one. I would be worried about the condition of the water pump bearing, but as long as it's not leaking or making noise you'd probably be okay. It's an interesting project if you do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back