Under valve cover pix 2009 Scion xB (2az-fe)

Notorious oil burner, 162k miles. I was pulling the plugs to do another Berryman’s piston soak and noticed some leakage, so I decided to go ahead and replace the gasket. The sections under the spark plug tubes were completely hard and shattered when I pried them out of the cover. If the pistons are as varnished up as these pix then it’s no wonder I have to soak them to keep the rings free.

3EDC882F-88EC-441B-87AC-F1A0ECD7A043.jpeg
750C6209-59D5-4DA5-B52A-A9894422944E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The plastic gizmo mounted on the cover that holds all the wiring harness broke off a big hunk the second I broke the bolt loose, and even more of it cracked off under just the pressure of moving it out of the way. It’s no longer attached to the engine. I guess I may slap a little gorilla tape on it before I put the coils back in, but it can’t go vary far anyway because of the plug wire.

Mine looked about the same, the gasket shattered the same, and the wiring conduit shroud also shattered the same

All 2009 xBs are the same, change my mind 👀

I heavily wrapped where the harness contacts the hot VC surface with Tesa tape, then used a zip tie or two to try and keep it from contacting
I've yet to find a better solution, but you're vehicle is probably in better condition

Back