Two Mobil 1 M1-110A filters. Different sizes

Hello, all, I bought the short one in February 2020 and the tall one in July 2020, both from Walmart.

The short one is 3 5/16" and 211 grams and the tall one is 3 1/2" tall and 261 grams.

Both are made in the USA, and the only difference in the packaging is the taller one specifies a steel inner core and the shorter one does not.

Did Mobil 1 recently make improvements to this filter or is it common to see these types of variances from time to time?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by blufeb95
One is probably the old Champion made one and the other is probably the new Mann-Hummel made one.

Ok, thanks for the info. I didn't know they had changed manufacturers. From what I can tell, the Mann-Hummel seems to be a bit better but they might perform identically.

The short version is the new version. It's the M1 filter that fits my Accord. I like the new one much better. I like that the baseplate has more holes (kind've reminds me of the current Honda oem baseplate).

Does that center tube have multiple designs. I think I see small eyelids and some round ones too.

I like em' big and round. I like my oil filters to have Thyroid Eyes Disease.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Does that center tube have multiple designs. I think I see small eyelids and some round ones too.

I like em' big and round. I like my oil filters to have Thyroid Eyes Disease.

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Thats actually kind of bizarre - Neither of those filters is the typical champion labs construction we have seen in the past:

[Linked Image from rangerxlt.com]

Mobil 1 M1-110A - Virgin

The "Tall" version is clearly Purolator (M + H) tapping plate design. The short version shares the can shape with Champion labs but the tapping plate appears unique, it looks vaguely FRAM like with the convex area near the treads, but this design is not seen on 7317 size FRAM but on some larger filters (like 3600, 8A) the hole design and number is unique...

I'd love to see the guts of these two...

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I also just noticed you;re new here, so
welcome2.gif

Not really "new" ... joined Sep 2018, but new with postings.

This might be a result of Mann & Hummel consolidating filter sizes. If one filter will fit several models then it makes sense.

Not sure what is being said, both have steel center cores. Looks like they bought the same louver making machinery. As far as I have learned here, no Purolator made filter, like the tall one, has a wire backed mesh supporting the media. They have used a plastic type mesh sort of like netting.

Looks like they bought the same louver making machinery.
Likely they source the tin-plated steel from the same vendor and may have the same or similar machines for making it into the center posts.

Cellulose or cellulose/synthetic blend filter media doesn't require a wire backing since it can retain its shape.

Wire backing is used on synthetic media which can't by itself retain its shape.

Both the wire-backed and the cellulose come in rolls from the media vendor and are cut and pleated by the filter manufacturer.

How Filters Are Made

I know of no filter manufacturer which makes its own filter media, although some large conglomerates have owned both the media manufacture and the filter manufacture components of the business at the same time.

Back