TW Speed Compound

Apex Detail gave a good review of this. I'm going to use it this fall to get rid of any existing/remaining McKee's AIO. You can use it in the sun and don't have to use tape to protect trim etc. Works for me. Paint is already in good shape and was corrected. I'll likely top it with TW Hybrid Ceramic or TW SNS.

I saw a bottle of that in the clearance section once and bought it to see what it could do. Surprisingly, I found it worked quite well in some scenarios, and so I’ve kept it and used it often. It definitely fills a niche in my polish/compound selection, but it doesn’t necessarily outperform the standard products at what they do best. There are some things they don’t do well though, and this product fills in those gaps for me.

Thanks, I saw it too on the clearance table at PepBoys lol. I'm just using it to remove any remaining sealant I had on the car previously.

Thanks, I saw it too on the clearance table at PepBoys lol. I'm just using it to remove any remaining sealant I had on the car previously.

I think it should work very well as a pre-wax cleaner. Their choice to use the term Compound was likely driven by the marketing dept and so understandable, but it’s misleading IMO to label this product as a compound. It’s not as stout as what a traditional compound would be. It’s a light polish at best, perfect for pre-wax prep of the paint.

I'll be doing it by hand too, unless I buy a polisher.

I'll be doing it by hand too, unless I buy a polisher.

That will be so much more work to do it by hand, but if you are up for it, more power go you!

If you ever plan on de-swirling the paint, you will have to get a machine polisher. That sort of thing cannot be done by hand.

I think I'll buy one lol.

No need to go overboard for your first machine polisher. Look for one that has either Dual Action (aka DA polisher) or random orbital action. Those types will prevent the operator from burning through the paint layer being polished, as opposed to a direct drive polisher (aka rotary polisher) that can burn through the clear coat very easily when operated by a novice.

Harbor Freight’s Bauer brand DA polisher is a very good machine for beginners and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.

Griot’s Garage has a random orbital polisher which costs a bit more, but it is also a very good unit for folks new to the machine polishing game.

You will see some $20-40 orbital buffers (aka wax spreaders) in the local Autozone and Walmart automotive sections, but avoid those! They lack the power to truly polish paint, and they are really only good for applying and removing wax.

Back