TV show ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the off chance that someone involved in the TV industry MIGHT read this board, I want to make a pitch.

I am continually frustrated with utter lack of information and originality in television "car" shows.

I am extremely tired of the "How To Do a Brake Job" shows (eg Shade Tree Mechanic) that provide dangerously little information on how to actually do a proper brake job and then degrade into a 20-minute sales pitch.

I am likewise tired of "Soap Opera Garage" (aka American Hotrod and American Chopper) in which the viewer is actually left to wonder if the producers don't hire a second crew to actually come into the garage at night and perform the actual WORK.

I won't detail my distaste for Pimp My Ride, other than to say "Ewwwwwwwww!"

And I am quite bored watching pretty-boy wrenches attach bolt-on aftermarket parts to brand-new vehicles (eg Trucks, Horse Power TV). Isn't that what the INSTRUCTIONS are written for?

I want to see a show in which an ENTIRE season is dedicated to the frame-up restoration of a classic car---more like the automotive version of "This Old House."

I want to see the mechanics actually DO something, not simply say "Then, we rebuilt the engine and drove 'er out to the track."

I actually want to SEE the steps in the tear-down. I want to SEE the steps in the engine rebuild (no crate engines, fer cryin' out loud!). I want to SEE the replacment/fabrication of body panels. I want to SEE all of the steps in the wiring.

Basically, I want to see a show where I can actually LEARN something.

Is that too much to ask?

Most viewers watch TV to be entertained. While what you describe would be educational, it't be pretty boring to everyone. Those with basic or better skills would be bored with too much depth. Neophites(sp) would be bored if it skipped over too much detail.

TV=entertainment
Vo-tech=education

Bob

What I'm tired of is the same old stuff. It's either doctor's, lawyers, or cops. Or doctors and cops and lawyers.
Thank G0d for the History Channel, SciFi, and WWE Raw.

you mean you don't like to see the same rehashed plots about lawyers, doctors, or cops over & over & over again? or stupid reality shows of Mommy Dearest? If they're going to name a show "Wife Swap", by gum by gosh let's see some REAL wife swapping? Oh wait, that's called 'Desperate Housewives. Nevermind.

Discovery has some cool shows too....

That bald guy on Spike is pretty funny. I wish I had his plasma cutter... source of rust free california cars... and of course... skills.

The "trucks" show built up an S10 for 10 grand... that's great... but how about throwing something together for $1000 instead? That's more my budget.

TLC's Junkyard Wars, a ripoff of a foreign version, was an ok concept except for the obviously planted parts.

Oh, I want to make a pitch to TV show producers!

He is a hard-boiled ex-marine with a peg leg and a taste for fine cigars, she's a three times divorced hairdresser with psychic power. They kick butt!

I haven't had television in three years and don't miss it one iota. Indeed, it was boring but I did like Law and Order as well as a few other shows.

How about:

The Taxidermy Channel?
Surgery in the Home? (or maybe combine these two- no worse than what's out there)
The Crocheting Network?
Arc Welding for Children?

And so on...

Quote:

Oh, I want to make a pitch to TV show producers!

He is a hard-boiled ex-marine with a peg leg and a taste for fine cigars, she's a three times divorced hairdresser with psychic power. They kick butt!

Yeah, but what do they drive?
laugh.gif
Is he in a Jeep or a HUMMER? Does she drive something called a Prescient?
wink.gif

Dream Car Garage's first three or so seasons showed a fair amount of "how to", though that's no longer the case.

DIY's Classic Car Restoration has had it's moments, though the most time any subject has received has been 5 hours, so expectations can't be too high with that sort of limitation.

Their "restoration" of a 1938 Packard was interesting to me, but maybe that's because it's something with which I'm not very familiar.

Quote:

I am extremely tired of the "How To Do a Brake Job" shows (eg Shade Tree Mechanic) that provide dangerously little information on how to actually do a proper brake job and then degrade into a 20-minute sales pitch.

TV exec says: We do what the advertiser wants.

Quote:

I am likewise tired of "Soap Opera Garage" (aka American Hotrod and American Chopper) in which the viewer is actually left to wonder if the producers don't hire a second crew to actually come into the garage at night and perform the actual WORK.

TV exec says: I love the excruciatingly awkward and obscene rantings of these sociopathic man-children. Almost beats Super Nanny.
Where's the work in tack welding steel ornaments to a kit bike?

Quote:

I won't detail my distaste for Pimp My Ride, other than to say "Ewwwwwwwww!"

TV exec says: Complete vehicle transformation in a half-hour spot is just short enough to fit inside a teenager's attention span. Another winner.

Quote:

And I am quite bored watching pretty-boy wrenches attach bolt-on aftermarket parts to brand-new vehicles (eg Trucks, Horse Power TV). Isn't that what the INSTRUCTIONS are written for?

TV exec says: Would you like it better if our boys were uglier? Anyway, why read when you can watch?

Quote:

I want to see a show in which an ENTIRE season is dedicated to the frame-up restoration of a classic car---more like the automotive version of "This Old House."

TV exec says: If you want quality TV, watch PBS. Can't you tell our shows are for kids?

Quote:

I want to see the mechanics actually DO something, not simply say "Then, we rebuilt the engine and drove 'er out to the track."

TV exec says: Our research indicates that handsome boys bolting on shiny parts is plenty of action.

Quote:

I actually want to SEE the steps in the tear-down. I want to SEE the steps in the engine rebuild (no crate engines, fer cryin' out loud!). I want to SEE the replacment/fabrication of body panels. I want to SEE all of the steps in the wiring.

TV exec says: Sorry, but our viewers want instant gratification.

Quote:

Basically, I want to see a show where I can actually LEARN something.
Is that too much to ask?

TV exec says: You sound like a smart boy. Why not get off the couch and check out some nice DIY books from the library?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back