TV help needed

About once a month my Sony TV will turn itself on. I can't find out why or how to stop it. A solution would be appreciated. I got no help from Sony.

Is it overnight? Is that how it recovers from power outages? Try unplugging it (for a while) then plugging it back in, to see if it powers up.

Do you have cats that could mess with the remote?

Originally Posted by eljefino
Is it overnight? Is that how it recovers from power outages? Try unplugging it (for a while) then plugging it back in, to see if it powers up.

No cats. Other Sony TV has never done this. Isn't power outages because I don't have to reset clocks.

Originally Posted by ffhdriver
About once a month my Sony TV will turn itself on. I can't find out why or how to stop it. A solution would be appreciated. I got no help from Sony.

Anyone close that someone in your household knows - has passed away 1-6 months earlier?
Does the TV always go on - the same day of the week?
Does the TV always go on at the same time-of-day?
Is the same TV Show always on, when the TV starts?

I've been fighting a Spirit that will always haunt me at 10:38PM, if I'm sleeping then. Been going-on for 7-8 years. It's always something that I'm choking on....ie...... marble - small coin - bracelet / necklace medal - tiny balloons......etc.

It's partly my fault, for I would always pray in front of the dead at their Church Masses, when I sang for their Funeral Serivices. This particular Spirit tells me he was murdered and the city coroner ruled it a suffocation death by vomit. The dead person wants me to get the police to exhume the body and in his throat, they will find a couple Micro SD Cards, that were shoved down his throat.

No Police Department will believe me and get the body exhumed. So this dead person continues to haunt me 1-2 times per week.

If your TV is hooked up to another device (like Roku) connected through HDMI, that device can turn on/off your TV.

Maybe you have a ghost?
confused2.gif

I told you that I'd come back once a month. Strange that the TV is the only thing you noticed.
20.gif

I don't get it. Once a month it turns off? I turn all my TVs off more often than that.

I think the best solution is pressing the ON button on the remote. NO? you want a gauntlet instead...

Check to see if it's set to turn off if there isn't activity after a period of time or some eco setting

It could be Aliens, 5G, Yokai Spirits, the NSA, Ghosts, Alexa, Cortana ect.

Seriously though, It could be Interference from something else, out of date software if it is a smart TV, a bad remote controller or bad hardware.

Originally Posted by 77Se7en

Anyone close that someone in your household knows - has passed away 1-6 months earlier?
Does the TV always go on - the same day of the week?
Does the TV always go on at the same time-of-day?
Is the same TV Show always on, when the TV starts?

I've been fighting a Spirit that will always haunt me at 10:38PM, if I'm sleeping then. Been going-on for 7-8 years. It's always something that I'm choking on....ie...... marble - small coin - bracelet / necklace medal - tiny balloons......etc.

It's partly my fault, for I would always pray in front of the dead at their Church Masses, when I sang for their Funeral Serivices. This particular Spirit tells me he was murdered and the city coroner ruled it a suffocation death by vomit. The dead person wants me to get the police to exhume the body and in his throat, they will find a couple Micro SD Cards, that were shoved down his throat.

No Police Department will believe me and get the body exhumed. So this dead person continues to haunt me 1-2 times per week.

News alert ! This is not April 1st !

Either that was a bad joke or you REALLY need some help .

I worked for Motorola Quasar for a number of years and had a gentleman bring his TV in to the shop for that condition. In those days the remotes worked by sound. It was sound beyond human hearing. His problem ended up being the heat register in his home had high frequency sound when the furnace ran. His TV would be on when he woke up .Later TV's used infra red and those had issues too. One customer had her TV come on when the school bus went by in the afternoon. A reflected beam off a window of the bus had the right frequency. That was easier since a small black tube was placed around the sensor to block stay light. Maybe yours is the same way and something going by your home is triggering it to come on.

The factory reset which was mentioned is a good idea.
Although it could be inconvenient, you could place a piece of electrical tape over the receiving sensor window for the IR remote atleast to see if the set is picking up something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eljefino

No cats. Other Sony TV has never done this. Isn't power outages because I don't have to reset clocks.

Sometimes during thunderstorms our lights will flicker but not go completely out. This almost always shuts off my computer, and maybe sometimes the cable box, but not the digital clocks on appliances.

If the problem corresponds with storms, maybe the TV is more sensitive than your clocks.

Back