Tucson AZ, Best choice of wax

I am living in Tucson, AZ. I have waxed my black car with Mothers Carnuba Wax, within a day or so, the wax totally baked off the finish. Sun is wicked here. Looking for the best wax sugestion to hold up in this harsh environment.
Thanks
Ilya

Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476 by Collinite - https://bit.ly/2WUqAN2]
Ed
I just tried some. I initial results are great, waiting to see how long it lasts. Member skunked says 885 and 476 are the same product.
IMG_20200813_211355749.jpg
IMG_20200813_211408980.jpg
IMG_20200813_211432656.jpg

Interesting!
I realize that Project Farm is only one guy/test and nothing real world over the long haul in different climates and weather conditions. However, it's interesting just the same. So, just based on PF's test, I'd buy the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic(the least expensive in the test) but, when on sale as well.

Last edited:
I think using a true wax in your environment is a big mistake. The hybrids from Collinite would most certainly do better. If you don't want to mess with ceramics why not go for a straight sealant? There are many to choose from and with proper surface prep should protect for a few months at least, six months at best.

Another question that should be asked to the OP, does he have a garage or is he applying the wax outside? The heat plus the black color will make applying any product difficult.

Collinite has great waxes but my understanding is they don't last well (everyone's definition of 'lasting well' is different. Mine is, should last at least for 6 months.) You should take a look at Finish Kare BWM-01, also known as F1000KP (or similar). This is a high-temp wax, perfect for your weather.
This. FK1000 has outlasted 476 as noted by many on the forums. I have a tin but I prefer Poorboys Xsealant with carnauba for appearance.

This. FK1000 has outlasted 476 as noted by many on the forums. I have a tin but I prefer Poorboys Xsealant with carnauba for appearance.
You are the first person I noticed has a comment about Poorboy's products. Do you top it on anything? https://www.autogeek.net/pbexp16.html is this the one you use?

I have been using Klasse twins and they work very well. It's a little bit of work to do it properly but I got hang of it. I was planning to put FK1000p/BWM-01 on top of it as a sacrificial layer for winter salt and road grime. Once that's shot by end of Jan, Klasse will take over the job and by spring it will be shot too.

I wish PF would have tested TWI S&S(though not a ceramic) with the others. I hear good thing about TWI S&S
The durability tests on youtube, got me to buy a bottle. I have tried many products over the years. But from what I have tried, none have compared to the ease of use, slickness, and durability I am looking for. The water beading I am experiencing so far is what puts it above other products, IMO.

You are the first person I noticed has a comment about Poorboy's products. Do you top it on anything? https://www.autogeek.net/pbexp16.html is this the one you use?

I have been using Klasse twins and they work very well. It's a little bit of work to do it properly but I got hang of it. I was planning to put FK1000p/BWM-01 on top of it as a sacrificial layer for winter salt and road grime. Once that's shot by end of Jan, Klasse will take over the job and by spring it will be shot too.
I have used EXP. It appears in most opinions to be superior on lighter colors. I use EX sealant on all colors. I erred in spelling in my last post. The pronunciation is actually excellent.
Neither is a long life sealant by today’s standards. The EXP last a little bit longer (6 months) probably due to the carnauba content in EX
EX is my finished product due to its appearance. Goes on easy and extremely easy to wipe off. I put it on top of the FK1000 and like the look better.
One benefit is additional coats enhance the appearance. I usually repeat in two or three months.

I’d try some sort of spray, rather than go chasing after the holy grail that will hold up to Arizona sunshine for month after month.

These days the sprays are way more durable than ever before. For you that means they hold up for two months instead of four. Big deal. Spend 15 minutes Spritzing a little on every couple of months and buffing it off.

I now live in a cool climate so my recommendations would be worthless. I’d go for something fully synthetic though.

From a durability standpoint, I’ve had luck with Nufinish in the TX heat. It does have its downsides, esp if you have a darker paint colour. I’ve had no clear coat loss on my ‘03 Accord.

Back