Tried to rent a house

Status
Not open for further replies.
My job is relocating to NY/PA. I tried to rent a rural PA house in fair shape, listed by a real estate company. $1600/mo.

Landlord kept asking for more and more money. The application I signed stated 1st, last and one month security (very normal) . No pet deposit, no additional fees. (this place had fenced pens for hunting dogs against the back of the house)

After much haggling with landlord, we agreed to 6 months up front, $9600. Steep, but do-able. To that he then decides to add 2 months security, then a day later, a non refundable dog fee, then a day later, half the real estate broker's fee.

The agreed on $9600 to move in turned into $14,100 up front before I move in.

I countered with six months rent, one month security, half the broker and the pet fee. He said no.

In what universe is $12,500 cash up front not enough for a crummy $1600/month rental.

By the way, I have perfect credit, with a 841 score and nothing at all wrong on the report. 100% paid ahead of time on everything.

The bad part is that my contract says I must be there in 10 days from today. I have to start again, and I'm in FL busy with work. Some people really stink.

My friend rents a semi-detached in Toronto for $2200/month CDN ($1629 USD) plus utilities. Big cities are getting ridiculous.

How much have you paid him so far? I hope zero. I wouldn't want to deal with him long term.

Sounds like a hustle job to me. Are you sure these people you are dealing with are legit?

Reason I say this is because I have personally witnessed people renting property they did not own, and the guy that rented to a lady in a suburb of Chicagor was an ordained minister. Paper work looked real, but it was all fraud.

Originally Posted by BigD1
Sounds like a hustle job to me. Are you sure these people you are dealing with are legit?

Reason I say this is because I have personally witnessed people renting property they did not own, and the guy that rented to a lady in a suburb of Chicagor was an ordained minister. Paper work looked real, but it was all fraud.

Same in Florida. Dirt bags renting owners seasonal vacation homes.

Time to back out if possible and talk to the "REALESTATE COMPANY" I fyou have a signed agreement and have paid any money then don't agree to any more money. As stated the owner sounds like a scammer.

6 months upfront? I've never heard of such a thing - I'd run. I wonder if the house is about to be foreclosed on and the guy is looking to run with as much cash as he can.

That sounds absolutely ludicrous. Even with rising rents and stuff, I've never seen it escalate like that. Around here, it's a month plus one month or month and a half deposit. The worst trouble I've heard of is landlords making it tough to get the deposit back.

Have you gone and visited the property? It does sound like it could be a scam. However, if I were the scammer, I would have happily taken your $9,600 and ran! Heck, as a scammer, I would have taken your initial $3,200 and moved on!

This much money upfront sounds very excessive. The guys greed may be your saving grace. I know it's hard what you're going g through, I went through something similar last year, but look elsware. Perhaps ask you new employer if they can assist you with finding a rental. Mine sure helped me out before I could find my own and cheaper place.

Why in the world would you ever pay 6 months.....UP FRONT? Never heard of such BS. And the brokers costs are his to cover....or raise the rent to cover. Run!!!

Originally Posted by dishdude
6 months upfront? I've never heard of such a thing - I'd run. I wonder if the house is about to be foreclosed on and the guy is looking to run with as much cash as he can.

Guessing not, but the thought crossed my mind. The guy is uber wealthy and greedy.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
He thought you had more money than sense or were desperate, textbook shakedown. A deal's a deal.
There was no way you were getting that security deposit back.

That's correct, he'd keep it and I knew it. The agent kept saying "he gave the last tenant the deposit back" . Sure he did......

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
That's correct, he'd keep it and I knew it. The agent kept saying "he gave the last tenant the deposit back" . Sure he did......
I was going to mention that I would find a different broker, that's fishy.

If you know he has money, he could be relying on that reputation to dissuade you from pursuing any legal action if you were to enter into an agreement with him. Why else would he re-neg on you like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back