Transmission Codes - Grand Cherokee

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I had forgotten the evap codes the 14' Grand Cherokee had, took it to my mechanic friend to re-scan and see what it says so we can get it in soon.

It also had a transmission code and transfer case code, which it didn't have before. On 4/11 at 121,900 miles I was out off-roading and it got stuck in 4L and the transmission wouldn't shift (stuck in 5th gear or so) until I turned it off and back on a few times. Has been fine since. On the screen it read "Service Trans". It did this when choosing "Rock" mode on the selector wheel.

I can't remember if we've cleared the codes since then, so maybe they're from that event. Not sure.

It hasn't been driven much since then, 122,256 miles now. Now it has the below pictured codes. The scanner didn't show any further data. We've cleared them and will see what pops back up.

A year or two ago we had the transfer case control module replaced, as the 4x4 switching was dead.

Something to be concerned about?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's an odd one. The P1DCD-00 code is defined basically "In the Drive position, a failure is detected if a pressure regulator combination for Reverse gear is detected. In the Reverse position, a pressure regulator combination is detected for Drive."

Were you stuck at any point and rocking the truck to get it out? That code almost sounds like the trans was just a little slow to get from reverse to drive and it goofed up the control logic.

Also, the comm. codes in the ABS module, according to the service information, an be triggered by a DTC in either the TCM or TCCM. Therefore, the only issue could have been the setting of the P1CDC-00. Why did it set? Hard to say. It was likely and electrical or momentary fluke that won't return soon, if ever.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
That's an odd one. The P1DCD-00 code is defined basically "In the Drive position, a failure is detected if a pressure regulator combination for Reverse gear is detected. In the Reverse position, a pressure regulator combination is detected for Drive."

Were you stuck at any point and rocking the truck to get it out? That code almost sounds like the trans was just a little slow to get from reverse to drive and it goofed up the control logic.

Also, the comm. codes in the ABS module, according to the service information, an be triggered by a DTC in either the TCM or TCCM. Therefore, the only issue could have been the setting of the P1CDC-00. Why did it set? Hard to say. It was likely and electrical or momentary fluke that won't return soon, if ever.

If these codes came from when it freaked out and got stuck in 4L and wouldn't shift at all (not even park), I was slightly moving when I chose "Rock". Not stuck, and I had to floor it for a mile straight in the sand to get out, as it had no power at all (too high of a gear). It was chiming and dinging and making all sorts of noises. I didn't turn it off right away because I was worried I'd be stranded far from the highway. No tow truck could have made it to where I was.

Nick, does that 4L event make you question whether the electronic trickery is up to desert 4 wheeling? It's so easy to get yourself in a remote tough spot that can turn dangerous if your ride fails you, gotta trust it.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Nick, does that 4L event make you question whether the electronic trickery is up to desert 4 wheeling? It's so easy to get yourself in a remote tough spot that can turn dangerous if your ride fails you, gotta trust it.

It does make me wonder. It's my grandpa's Jeep, I take him out 4-wheeling to get him out of the house and he loves it. He has a gold mine in western Arizona, he started going out there in the late 40's.

Not sure what other choice we have though. He's so crippled up there really isn't any other 4x4 vehicles that he can get into.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Figured it was your grandpa's Jeep. Doing what you do with him that's something that's got to be fixed right. Is the gold mine running?

Soon

Originally Posted by 14Accent

This. Also, if you have access to a dealer you trust, have them check for TCM updates in Witech, there may be a TSB.

Back