Toyota Pink, I think

Both '16 Camrys I-4, mid 50k miles. No cooling issues, but would like to keep it that way. What is a reasonable time/ mileage to change coolant? Can I test coolant with the 5 ball tester I used on my BMWS that I ran green coolant in? TIA

I would not bother.

Toyota says 10yr/100k miles on the factory fill with Pink (1/2 that with subsequent fills). Evidence shows this to be true and I would not worry yet. I generally do maintenance well in advance of recommendations where warranted, but this seems safe guidance.

You can wait it out but what I did on my two with pink coolant was to do them at 80k. Just a drain on the radiator and refill. I figured I would then have mostly new coolant in it for the least amount of work. I think I've been doing every 30-50k since. I don't think it's critical since there are piles of cars out there with 150-200k on the clock and original coolant.

The official number is 100k or 120 months for an 16 Camry so you have a lot of time remaining.

I typically change it the first time at 100,000 miles then the next change is every 50,000 miles. Do a drain and fill.

I take the plug out of the bottom right side of the radiator and drain. Then install the plug and refill. I was wondering what percentage of the radiator fluid I am actually getting?

For kicks, get you a pH test strip. Coolant needs to be alkaline (above 7). I would definitely change before 7.
Below 7 and your coolant has become acidic. Not good.

I would change at 1/2 recommended time as time is more important than miles and I would just drain the radiator
and only use Toyota coolant. That would be replacing about 1/2 coolant at about 1/2 the life of the coolant.

I do all "my" cars every 6 months (April and Oct) by only draining and filling the radiator and overflow tank.

The 5 ball test is worth nothing if you have never diluted your coolant with straight water. pH is what you need.

I do all "my" cars every 6 months (April and Oct) by only draining and filling the radiator and overflow tank.

Changing your coolant every 6 months is craziness considering the service interval is at least 5 years. I mean it won't hurt anything (besides your wallet), but it's not really helping anything either. While you're discussing bi-yearly coolant changes should we also think about monthly oil changes (j/k)?

I've done a couple of DAFs on my '15 Tacoma....the first being at about 50k. Maybe that was early. But it made me feel better.

I went with Valvoline Zerex pink. Available OTC at Walmart. This is also in my daughter's Yaris.

20190727_173904.jpg

Changing your coolant every 6 months is craziness considering the service interval is at least 5 years. I mean it won't hurt anything (besides your wallet), but it's not really helping anything either. While you're discussing bi-yearly coolant changes should we also think about monthly oil changes (j/k)?

You don't have all the facts. :)

The Red Interval is either 2 or 3 years depending on who you are talking to.

I'm only draining the radiator and getting about a gallon or less out of each vehicle. The GX470 is only getting 30% drain out of the radiator.

I'm not really crazy but I do change my oil every 3K.

Do it at 75k.

My mom had a Toyota Matrix. I think around 90-100k, the radiator started showing signs of leaking coolant, and by 133k, the radiator was toast with some severe corrosion on the left side. Had to get a new one, a Denso from advance Auto. The coolant color was certainly no longer pink.

Also, despite the aftermarket rad being a Denso, one of the holes didn't line up.

For kicks, get you a pH test strip. Coolant needs to be alkaline (above 7). I would definitely change before 7.
Below 7 and your coolant has become acidic. Not good.

I would change at 1/2 recommended time as time is more important than miles and I would just drain the radiator
and only use Toyota coolant. That would be replacing about 1/2 coolant at about 1/2 the life of the coolant.

The 5 ball test is worth nothing if you have never diluted your coolant with straight water. pH is what you need.
Um, since the Toyota and other Japanese makes use organic acid technology, wouldn't the pH be acidic anyway?

Do it at 75k.

My mom had a Toyota Matrix. I think around 90-100k, the radiator started showing signs of leaking coolant, and by 133k, the radiator was toast with some severe corrosion on the left side. Had to get a new one, a Denso from advance Auto. The coolant color was certainly no longer pink.

Also, despite the aftermarket rad being a Denso, one of the holes didn't line up.
You can’t really go by miles as much as you can by time. The chemical reaction is taking place all the time.

You can’t really go by miles as much as you can by time. The chemical reaction is taking place all the time.
I bought the new radiator on November 2017, so it just hit 10 years.

It was a 2007 Matrix, and the first signs of a leak started quite a bit earlier before reaching full severity. It's takes a while to eat up the metal, so by year 9, the coolant as already toast. It was yellowish for sure.

So, at least in my case, the mileage limit mattered more than the year limit. It kind of makes sense since the heat can do all sorts of things.

Back