Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what ATF everyone’s running lately in these cars? I got lucky this weekend and was able to pick
up a really clean 2006 Vibe with only 90k on the clock from the original owner.

for my 2009 Matrix, I've been using Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Works really well. Dare I say it shifts better than the presumed stock Toyota fluid.

Well, since these Matrix/Vibe vehicles take Toyota T-IV ATF, you can use just about any aftermarket ATF specifying T-IV. Valvoline MaxLife ATF, Castrol TransMAX IMV, Mobil 3309 ATF or just get some T-IV from the dealer. I found that T-IV wasn't too expensive from my dealer. However, in my Toyota vehicles that required T-IV, I have used...T-IV, MaxLife & TransMAX IMV all with good success.

I had both a matrix and a vibe in the passed and I used Castrol transmax import multi vehicle fluid in the tranny. Works perfect. I also use it in my daughter’s Camry. Maxlife atf is good too

Last edited:
I use OEM fluid. Drained and filled 3-4 times so far. Going forth I plan to drain and fill every 50k miles. Works good for me.

I used the Maxlife ATF in our old Matrix that met T-IV spec.

In our Scion I just used supertech multi vehicle low viscosity. It also meets T-IV and is full synthetic.

Simple car to work on, has as drain bolt.

I replace with a new crush washer, but folks have re-used them. Crush washer is like 75 cents, so I splurged.

I used Maxlife ATF in the 2008 Pontiac Vibe 4spd auto we had. The factory fill came out a bit darkened at 5yrs/50K miles when I drained it out. Very easy vehicle for basic DIY maintenance. Subjective I know, but I hated driving or being a passenger in that car.

Maxlife is a great synthetic ATF at a good price. Use it with confidence.

Another good choice is Castrol FUll Synthetic ATF when it goes on sale for $5/qt (not on sale now, but does go on sale a few times a year at the parts stores)

The good news is that your Vibe has a drain plug, so it is easy to change the ATF
smile.gif

Thanks for the replies folks. I’ve been doing 30k drain and fills on our Civic. Planning to keep going the same route with this Vibe. How about the Trans Filter.? I’m not sure if mine has ever been changed.

It wouldn't hurt to drop the pan for a good pan/magnet cleaning. Not sure if the filter is more of a rock catcher on these, but they typically are. Main thing is refreshing the fluid like you're doing IMO.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I used Maxlife ATF in the 2008 Pontiac Vibe 4spd auto we had. The factory fill came out a bit darkened at 5yrs/50K miles when I drained it out. Very easy vehicle for basic DIY maintenance. Subjective I know, but I hated driving or being a passenger in that car.

Lol! Yeah I know, it’s not the best looking car. I always thought they were ugly for the longest time, but hey it’s just so practical in every way:)

It wouldn't hurt to drop the pan for a good pan/magnet cleaning. Not sure if the filter is more of a rock catcher on these, but they typically are. Main thing is refreshing the fluid like you're doing IMO.

So it’s not like a fine mesh filter type? Ok feel more comfortable about just drain & fills very 30k. I will change the filter & clean the pan/magnets this time around.

Yes, the filter is just a metal mesh strainer. I have a 2008 Vibe.

Mine has around 110,000 miles and over the years I've dropped the pan twice, and just did a drain/refill recently. The first two times I refilled with Mobil 3309, and for this last drain/refill I used some Amsoil Universal ATF that I had purchased at a garage sale for $1 per bottle.

The transmission still shifts like new, and it has been an extremely reliable car overall.

Originally Posted By: Nicasio

Lol! Yeah I know, it’s not the best looking car. I always thought they were ugly for the longest time, but hey it’s just so practical in every way:)

This is a little off topic, but I found my old 2005 Matrix (which my brother now owns) was much more enjoyable after installing sound deadener to the door skins and floor boards. Didnt make it as quiet as a Lexus, but much closer to a "normal" Toyota! The sound deadener allowed me to actually hear my cell phone while driving on the freeway.

We’ve driven it 400 miles now and I must say I enjoy it more than our Civic. This old stock 2006 Radio in it sounds better too! I just dumped the oil coz I wanted to put some Pennzoil Platinum in her and she’s just over the 90k mi. mark. I’ll
do oil changes every 5k on this one. Few more Q’s for y’all:
-Any maintenance minder on these?
-How about spark plugs, how often do you change em on these?
-Also, what coolant is the best coolant to use other than OEM Toyota?

I didn't think it was a bad looking car at all. I just could never get comfortable in it, lots of road / powertrain noise and rode like a shopping cart. Plus ours had a weird throttle tip-in where you really had to concentrate to not whiplash yourself on takeoff.

- There is no maintenance minder on these.

- Spark Plugs are every 100k miles.

- Zerex Asian Vehicle Formula - Red label

I owned a 2003 Vibe for 14 years, recently sold it to a co-worker , had close to 200k on it.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One

- There is no maintenance minder on these.

- Spark Plugs are every 100k miles.

- Zerex Asian Vehicle Formula - Red label

I owned a 2003 Vibe for 14 years, recently sold it to a co-worker , had close to 200k on it.

Right on, thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back