Toyota LL or SLL in a Ford?????

Hey guys! My wifes 2012 fusion 2.5 is coming up on 90k and I'm wanting to do a coolant flush on it. I have PLENTY of Toyota Long Life (red) and Super Long Life (pink) coolant. Would these be acceptable to use in the Fusion? I would think so as Toyota and Subaru coolants tend to be top tier. Or at least in my reading here.

If the Fusion used the dark green Speciality Green FL-22 coolant, either Toyota fill is fine.

If it took gold or orange, G-05 or Prestone Cor-Guard would be my choice.

Originally Posted by nthach
If the Fusion used the dark green Speciality Green FL-22 coolant, either Toyota fill is fine.

If it took gold or orange, G-05 or Prestone Cor-Guard would be my choice.

https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/...ftpdf/Antifreeze_Coolant_Usage_Chart.pdf

the ford orange is essentially dex-cool...

looks like the 2012 model year could be either dark Green or orange, depending on build Date...

Dark Green 15/2011->Orange

Last edited:
Originally Posted by earlyre

the ford orange is essentially dex-cool...

looks like the 2012 model year could be either dark Green or orange, depending on build Date...

Dark Green 15/2011->Orange

And Ford did say the new yellow coolant now in production - which is basically Prestone Cor-Guard can be used to service orange/Dex-Cool applications. And I would use either though yellow/Cor-Guard being a pHOAT does have better protection.

According to Ford's coolant chart a 2012 Fusion would most likely have Ford's orange OAT but if it was built before 8/15/11 it will be the dark green (aka Mazda FL22) coolant. In either case you will have no issues using Toyota's LLC (red) or SLLC (pink), as both coolants are P-OAT's or P-HOAT's and Ford dark green is just another P-OAT dyed a different color, and Ford's orange OAT is now superseded by Ford's new green P-OAT. So they're all perfectly compatible with each other and assuming you're not hung up on having the original factory color the only caveat is the Toyota's older LLC (red) formula has a somewhat shorter service life than the other OAT/P-OAT coolants.

Great! Thank you guys! I'll have to look when my wife gets home for the color of the coolant. I believe it is dark green.

I would prefer to stay away from anything Dex-Cool related. Seen WAY to many problems, though that was usually coupled with poor maintenance practices.

I think I'll stick with the SLLC (pink) when I do it then. I also saw Peak Global at Menards yesterday, $14.xx a gallon full strenght, not bad. But I have 4 gal of SLLC if i recall.

Next, for a flush what is your guys' goto, that is generally available locally??

Back