Toyota Corolla 2020 CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to purchase new Toyota vehicle. The Corolla had a small recall due to CVT issues. Is long term reliability (200,000 miles) from the Corolla transmission something that I should steer clear of.

Corolla, Mazda 3 and Civic with 2.0L engine are all good cars for the money.

Each has its pros / cons.

I'd never buy a 1st year redesign of any vehicle.

I've researched the Corolla. Toyota has two different CVT's in the Corolla depending on the engine. The CVT used with the 2.0L models has a physical first gear. It uses the gear when accelerating from a stop which helps provide faster acceleration and takes the load off the belt and pulleys which is highest from a standstill. Of the non hybrid version, the 2.0L provides better fuel economy and has more power than the ancient 1.8L.
The Corolla L has 139 HP and is rated 30 city, 38 highway while the Corolla SE has 169 HP and is rated 31 city, 40 highway. I wouldn't want less HP, less fuel economy and a less responsive transmission myself.

I think CVT's in general need more time before they are ready for prime time. Right now they're only available in small cars. They have no towing ability, (which in many ways suggests a certain amount of weakness in their design).

Another problem they have to overcome for a lot of people, is the way they drive. Many simply don't like them. I'm sure as engineering and development proceed, and they start showing up in larger vehicles and trucks, they will gain more acceptance.

But right now they haven't gotten through all of their "growing pains". With that said, Toyota seems to have had somewhat better luck with them, than some other companies like Nissan.

Right now I would steer clear if you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time. But for a lease, or if your intention is to drive it for while, then dump it before the warranty runs out, you're protected enough from a financial faux pas, to be safe enough to take a chance. Because if the thing does go south, at least you won't be the one who's going to pay the price.

The new 2020 Corolla has two CVT trannies.
The 1.8L has the previous generations pulley/belt driven CVT.
The new 2.0L has the new CVT with an actual 1st gear(launch gear) and then moves into the CVT. This is the one that is being recalled.

Would you happen to have a link to the recall for the 2020 Corolla 2.0 with the CVT? I own one and haven't received a notice from Toyota or dig anything up on the net.

Originally Posted by georgemiller
Looking to purchase new Toyota vehicle. The Corolla had a small recall due to CVT issues. Is long term reliability (200,000 miles) from the Corolla transmission something that I should steer clear of.

So far we are happy with ours. It has 11,500 miles and no problems except a tire blowout from a screw. My wife has a 40 mile commute each way to work and averages 43.5 mpg with a even combo of Interstate (75 mph) and state highway (65) driving with summer gas. It has dropped to 42 with winter gas.

Our one complaint is that its seems hard to get in and out of. She drove a Rav4 berfore this and I drive a Matrix/Vibe.

I wouldn't conflate a small recall with long term reliability concern. Corollas have been great historically and Toyota is typically very conservative about rolling out new engineering.

Originally Posted by billt460
I think CVT's in general need more time before they are ready for prime time. Right now they're only available in small cars.

This is an inaccurate statement in terms of only available in small cars. I would say 30-40% of vehicle between small - midsize including SUVs have them. Some car makers like Subaru, Nissan have been using for years. Honda jumped in the last few years. Ford wishes they did in their Focus/Fiesta. Toyota is just really slow and cautious at adopting new tech and sells fine new or old.

The largest towing capacity ones I have seen are Nissan/Infiniti SUVs and now Subaru Ascent (5000lbs) which is on par with that class of vehicle.

They are not new tech except for Toyota.

Seeing the corolla is midsized car at camry prices now might as well get a
Subaru Impreza Shooting Brake.

You get AWD standard and likely a better car and an easy under $18G purchase.

I'd look for a Japanese one, though, until they get their act together in Indiana.

Plus you get a "porsche - lite" engine
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by wdn
2012-2019 Subaru Impreza reliability score 15/100, "well below average"

2013-2019 Toyota Corolla reliability score 100/100, "exceptional"

http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Subaru_Impreza.html
http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Toyota_Corolla.html

You realize the metrics they have come from cars that went to auction. The whole site is odd and dated. The corolla appears too high and Impreza too low.

Having been around Corollas and Imprezas if long term reliability is the goal it would be Corolla hands down. Having said that I might actually pick the Imprezas personally.

Originally Posted by billt460
I think CVT's in general need more time before they are ready for prime time. Right now they're only available in small cars. They have no towing ability, (which in many ways suggests a certain amount of weakness in their design).

Another problem they have to overcome for a lot of people, is the way they drive. Many simply don't like them. I'm sure as engineering and development proceed, and they start showing up in larger vehicles and trucks, they will gain more acceptance.

But right now they haven't gotten through all of their "growing pains". With that said, Toyota seems to have had somewhat better luck with them, than some other companies like Nissan.

Right now I would steer clear if you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time. But for a lease, or if your intention is to drive it for while, then dump it before the warranty runs out, you're protected enough from a financial faux pas, to be safe enough to take a chance. Because if the thing does go south, at least you won't be the one who's going to pay the price.

Boy, are you completely out of touch with CVTs. CVTs are a mature technology, and have been perfected by Toyota and others for MANY years now. In addition, some cars having CVTs can tow some trailers. CVTs are not considered new technology, nor exotic. They are perfected, mature, and have been so for a very long time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by lovcom

CVTs are a mature technology, and have been perfected by Toyota and others for MANY years now. In addition, some cars having CVTs can tow some trailers. CVTs are not considered new technology, nor exotic. They are perfected, mature, and have been so for a very long time.

This

Originally Posted by lovcom

CVTs are a mature technology, and have been perfected by Toyota and others for MANY years now. In addition, some cars having CVTs can tow some trailers. CVTs are not considered new technology, nor exotic. They are perfected, mature, and have been so for a very long time.

This

That is why Subaru extended the warranty on our Impreza
smile.gif

I think the " Lifetime fill" is biting them.

Al, I would do a partial drain and fill at 30K.

Subaru Corporation is offering consumers an extended warranty on the continuously variable transmission (CVT) on approximately 1.5 million vehicles after concerns were raised about transmission problems that may cause the vehicle to stall on model year 2012-2017 vehicles

Last edited:
There will be some outliers with any and all technologies. Look at the conventional auto transmissions...they've been out for ages yet Honda and Chrysler and others have had their struggles in the past. This is not an indictment against conventional AT's no more then for CVTs which also have a peppered history.

On balance, conventional and CVTs are both mature, perfected, for the most part....still there will always be the outliers.

I found no efficiency gains on the NIssan CVT in my Rogue. Just The opposite actually.

The fuji/ subaru does seem better with a puller belt instead of a pusher shim stack band drive.

I still prefer a 6 speed auto with lockup anyday.

Actually I'll take a 5 or 6speed manual - It has personal programming wired to my brain !

smile.gif
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back